We get variety of sea fish in Goa. We also cook different types of fish recipes. ‘Talle Sukhe’ also known as Tallyache sukhe or tallyanche sukhe is a Goan sardines fry recipe. It can also be called as hot and sour sardines. This is another tarle recipe which my mom taught me during my trip to Goa somewhere in October 2014. This sardines sukha turns tangy and spicy. Hot and sour sardines is the best stir fry made with sardines in a yummy tangy and spicy coconut base.
How to remove the strong smell of sardines?
This sardines sukhe turns very good and has a sour and spicy taste. Many people don’t like the smell of sardines, so just clean them and apply salt. Keep them aside for 15 minutes and then wash again. This ensures that the strong sardines smell goes off.
Health benefits of sardines:
Tallyache sukhe is hot and sour sardines cooked in dry coconut gravy to which tamarind and kokum is added.
Hot And Sour Sardines / Tallyache Sukhe
- 8-10 Sardines
- 5-6 tablespoon coconut grated
- 4 dry red chilies
- 1 marble sized ball of tamarind
- 2 green chilies
- 2 kokum petals
- 10-15 triphal/sichuan pepper/teffal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash and cut the heads of the sardines. If sardines are big, then cut them into 2 to 3 pieces, else leave them as it is. I used small sardines in this sardines sukha recipe.
- Apply salt to the sardines and wash again after 10 minutes.
- Marinate the sardines with the masala mentioned above (turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt) and keep aside for atleast 30 minutes in the fridge. Do not keep in the freezer.
- Add grated coconut, dry red chilies and tamarind to a mixer jar.Add 1/2 cup water.
- Grind to make a thick gravy. Consistency should be thicker than chutney.
- Heat a kadai and add the thick gravy from the mixer grinder, 2 slit green chilies and marinated sardines.
- Slightly crush the teffal seeds (sichuan pepper) using a mortal and pestel and add them to the gravy while cooking.
- 8)After 8 minutes, add the kokum petals and cook this till sardines get cooked.
- If the gravy becomes too dry add 2 tablespoon water and cook till sardines are cooked.
- Add salt to taste after checking the taste as sardines were already marinated with salt.
Also pin this recipe image on Pinterest.