Almost every weekend, we make fish curry at home. The method of making fish curry for every type of fish is different. I have mentioned the process for Dry Mackerel Fish Curry and Lady Fish Curry in my previous posts.The method of making fish curry with sardines is much similar to that of making fish curry with Mackerel. Lets see how to make Goan Fish Curry with Sardines or Tallyache Hooman.
Sardines are cheaply and easily available in Goa. I love them and the fish curry made with sardines tastes awesome. Only drawback is that, this particular fish has lot’s of thorns and should be eaten carefully and patiently. I never give sardines to my little one as this fish is thorny.
There are a lot of health benefits. They are rich in vitamin B12 and are a great source of selenium,vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, calcium and phosphorus. They contain lower levels of mercury and are safe even for pregnant women.
Sardines can also be fried like any other fish. I made this fish curry since I love it.
- Wash and clean the sardines. Cut the head and scrape the scales.
- At last apply 1 tsp salt and wash them off. This ensures that the sardines don’t stink.
- Marinate the sardines by applying all the marination ingredients.
- Grind, grated coconut, turmeric powder,tamarind, peppercorns and red chilies.
- Slightly press the teffla.
|Fry the fish in oil, ginger and green chilly|
- In an aluminium bowl, pour Fortune Refined Rice Bran oil. Add ginger and green chilly.
- Now put the fish and fry in medium flame for 2 minutes.
|Gravy to be mixed in the fried fish|
- Now put in the gravy and stir. Add 3/4 cup water.
- While boiling put in teffla and salt and stir.
- Boil for 10 Min’s by keeping the utensil covered.
- Add salt to taste.
This post is a part of Healthy & Tasty Recipe Contest with Fortune Rice Bran Health Oil & BlogAdda.comFor other fish curry recipes, check this link.
For more recipes with sardines, click here.This blogpost has been updated with new pictures on 10-Jan-2016.