Today’s recipe is a family favorite vegan banana semolina cake recipe. Semolina is called as rava in India and this cake can also be called as eggless rava banana cake or banana sooji cake. I have added sugar to this recipe unlike the eggless rava banana jaggery cake. This banana cake is my mother-in-law’s signature recipe.
If you have any over ripe bananas, do not worry. Do not discard them. Just make this delicious vegan banana semolina cake.
My family loves the food that I cook. This keeps me motivated to try different recipes every day. Many times it becomes difficult to manage a full time job and home and this website. But then my family’s love and support keeps me going.
I have added coconut milk to this banana cake recipe. Also I have added semolina or rava instead of all-purpose flour. Since I did not use milk or eggs or any animal products, the cake becomes totally vegan. Only use ripe bananas to make this eggless banana cake. Mash them nicely and mix roasted rava in it. Then add coconut milk and mix well. Let this batter rest for atleast an hour before baking. To grease the pan, I used canola oil. You can use any vegetable oil too.
Since the banana cake is made with semolina, it might take bit longer to get baked in oven. You can alter the quantity of sugar as per your taste and sweetness of bananas. If you don’t have an oven, you can bake this cake in a non-stick pan or you can also try the double boiler method too. My mother-in-law mostly bakes the cake in a pan. I will soon let you all know how it can be done.
- 4 small ripe bananas peeled and pureed
- 1 cup semolina or rava
- 5 cardamom pods peeled and crushed
- 10 cashewnuts crushed
- 3/4th cup coconut milk
- 5 tablespoon sugar powdered
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch Salt
- To make the vegan banana cake, first heat a kadai or pan and roast the semolina or rava.
- Then add banana puree and mix well.
- Add coconut milk and mix.
- Keep this mixture aside for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add sugar and mix well.
- Add crushed cardamom, cashewnuts, baking powder, salt and mix.
- Pre-heat the oven for 5 minutes at 200C. Line the baking pan with butter paper or grease it.
- Pour the prepared batter in the baking pan.
- Bake in convection mode for 30 minutes.
- Check if the cake is baked by pricking a tooth-pick in the centre.
- If the tooth-pick comes out clean, the cake is baked, else bake it for further 15 minutes.