Hello everyone, I am back with a delicious recipe today. I know you were waiting for a new recipe since a long time. Finally I got some time out of my busy schedule and wrote this wonderful recipe for you all. The office work is still not over yet. We have a release around 15th of August, but yes the work pressure is bit less now as most of the work is almost done. Today’s recipe is a delicious Goan Prawns Curry with Drumsticks. It is called as “Sungtache Hooman Sango Ghalun” in Konkani.
We add different types of seasonal vegetables while making the Goan prawns curry. Sometimes we add hog plums (ambade), raw mango (aamli), start fruit (karmala), bilimbi (bimla), lady fingers (bhendi), onion, etc.
Drumsticks are a superfood and has been a part of Goan cuisine since ages. We make delicious stir fried vegetable with drumstick tree leaves or moringa leaves. This vegetable is known as maskachi bhaji or moringa leaves stir fry. We also add drumstick to dal to make drumstick dal and make a stir fry with drumstick itself known as sangachi bhaji. Read more about Goan cuisine here.
In today’s recipe, drumstick and onion is added to the famous Goan prawns curry recipe. I have added the drumsticks while cooking the curry. Sometimes I cook drumsticks separately and then add it to the curry along with the water in which the drumsticks were boiled. Also care should be taken while cleaning prawns. Always remove the black backbone or black thread which is present on the prawns back.
You can serve the Goan prawns curry with drumsticks with steamed Goan rice, stuffed mackerel and sol kadi. This is my favorite comfort meal and I can have it both for lunch and dinner too.
- 20 Prawns / Shrimps
- 1 cup grated coconut or 1/2 coconut of small size (grated)
- 1 marble sized ball of tamarind
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 dry red chillies byadgi chilies / shepda in Konkani
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 teapsoon Coriander seeds
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 drumsticks peeled and cut into 2 inch size pieces
- 1 teaspoon oil
For marinating the prawns:
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For marinating the prawns:
- De-shell the prawns. Remove the thick black thread that is there in the middle of the Prawns back. This is also known as back-bone.
- Apply the turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Leave this for minimum 30 Minutes. If you want to marinate for longer time, then keep the marinated prawns in refrigerator.
For the gravy:
- Grind, grated coconut, turmeric powder, tamarind, peppercorns, coriander and red chilies. After grinding the gravy is ready. We will cook prawns in this gravy.
- In a kadai, add 1/4 cup water, marinated prawns and chopped drumsticks. Add 2 tablespoon ground gravy to this. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the rest of the ground gravy and stir. Add ½ cup water and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Let it get cooked for another 10 minutes Switch of the gas.
- Now in a tadka/seasoning pan, add oil preferably coconut oil. Once the oil gets heated add chopped onion and fry till it gets burnt. After onion gets bit burnt, give a tadka of burnt onion to the gravy and close the lid.
- Add salt to taste. Remember that the prawns were marinated with salt. So add only 1/4 teaspoon salt first. Taste and add more salt if needed.