Patal potato bhaji is an authentic Goan recipe which we have been making since ages. Patal potato bhaji means potato subzi with slight gravy. This is a delicacy and served in most of the Goan restaurants like Cafe Tato, Cafe Real, Cafe Bhonsale, etc along with pav. We even make it at home and serve with puris or chapatis. You can even call it potato bhaji. In South India, it is also known as potato saagu.
This potato bhaji is non spicy. Kids also love to have it. Hence it can be packed in the lunch box along with puris or palak puris too. Patal batat bhaji is served in Goa along with salad bhaji or chana bhaji in Goan restaurants, and is ideal to have for breakfast. I have added water to this potato subzi to make gravy in it. We also make sukhi potato bhaji in similar way. Just that we need not add extra water while making it.
The patal batat bhaji is very simple and easy to make. This can be the first recipe any person beginning to cook can start with.
Potato bhaji was also one of the first recipes that I learnt from my Mom and once made it for my dad’s birthday under Mom’s guidance as a surprise. Hence this recipe is special too. So guys, give this recipe a try and let me know how it turns.
Patal Potato BhajiPrint Pin Rate
- 4 medium sized potatoes boiled and peeled
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Jeera (Cumin seeds)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (black gram dal)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 green chilies slit
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoon oil
- To Taste Salt
- Handful Coriander Leaves for garnish
- Chop the boiled potatoes into small pieces.
- Heat a kadai and add 2 teaspoon oil.
- Add mustard seeds and after the flutter add cumin seeds and urad dal.
- Add asafeotida, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onion and sauté till onion turns pinkish.
- Now add minced garlic and sauté till raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add chopped boiled potato, ½ cup water and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and switch off the gas. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.