Prawn 65 is a delicious South Indian starter or appetizer. This is a spicy and crispy dry preparation in which prawns are marinated with spices and deep fried.
Prawn 65 is a delicious starter recipe found in South Indian restaurants specially in Tamil Nadu. This crispy prawn fry is a perfect evening snack. It can be served with drinks as a cocktail party appetizer. Shrimps can also be used in this recipe.
This prawn 65 recipe is a kid friendly recipe too. You can serve prawn 65 with hot steamed rice, kids will never say no this crispy prawn recipe. They will surely love it just like prawns fry with onion.
What is prawn 65?
The spicy prawn recipe is adapted from famous chicken 65 recipe. Just like chicken 65, people say that 65 types of ingredients were used in making the dish. But neither 65 ingredients nor 65 prawns are used in making this dish. The recipe is very easy and simple to cook and gets ready in 20 minutes.
Ingredients to make this Indian prawn appetizer recipe:
- Prawns: Prawns or shrimps can be used in the recipe. I used medium sized prawns, you can make the recipe with small shrimps or tiger prawns too.
- Spices: Red chili powder, turmeric powder and black pepper powder are the 3 basic spice powders used in this spicy deep-fried prawn recipe.
- Cornflour: Cornflour is used for coating the spicy marinated prawns before deep frying. Coating prawns with cornflour makes them crispier and absorbs less oil while frying.
- Egg white: Egg white is applied to marinated prawns before frying. Using egg white for coating prawns ensures that crust stays put and provides thicker crust.
- Curry leaves: Curry leaves is a must in this Tamil prawn recipe. They provide an authentic South Indian flavor and taste to the recipe.
How to make crispy prawn 65?
Cooking prawn 65 is very easy.
- De-shell and devein prawns and wash well. Marinate the prawns by applying the ingredients.
- Deep fry the prawns one by one in batches of 5.
- Sauté curry leaves and add it to the prawns.
How to serve prawn 65?
- 20 medium sized prawns
- 10-15 fresh curry leaves
- 1 green chili slit
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 tablespoon corn flour
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 cup oil for deep frying
- De-shell the prawns and wash them properly.
- Marinate the prawns by applying red chili powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, lime juice, minced ginger and garlic, egg white, corn flour and salt and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- In a kadai or deep-frying pan, add enough oil and deep fry the prawns in batches of 5 for 3 to 5 minutes on a medium-low flame.
- Drain the deep-fried prawns on kitchen paper.
- Switch off the flame and remove excess oil from the pan.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and sauté the curry leaves and green chili.
- Add the fried prawns and mix well.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Can’t cook the recipe now, pin it on Pinterest. Also comment and rate the recipe.
Note: The recipe was published on 23rd May 2013 and is republished with new images.