Everyone makes resolutions on New Year’s Eve. Some abide by them and some get busy in their life that they totally forget about it. But I feel that we should make some resolutions which are like our goals and stick to atleast a few of them. This New Year, I took a resolution to eat healthy food like raw salads. I have decided to add different types of Indian salads like Grated Carrot Salad with Tomato, Onion and Chia Seeds salad to my lunch box. My resolution is to lose weight and to live a healthy life this year.
The salad that I made today is a very simple one. I used carrot which is grated, chopped tomato and chopped onion. You can add chopped capsicum and beet too. Since my hubby does not like chat masala, I did not add chat masala to this salad. But you can add if you like. This is a salad without mayonnaise.
I used to prepare this for lunch and had suddenly stopped preparing it, due to laziness you can say. But this is a healthy one for sure and having this just before eating your meals will fill you with something healthy.
Addition of chia seeds might assist in weight loss. This is not scientifically proven, but since chia seeds have medicinal and nutritional value, I have started adding them to my salads and juices. One tablespoon of chia seeds has more calcium than a glass of milk and more antioxidants than blueberries. You can also check this Indian gooseberry juice (amla juice) recipe.
Let us look at the ingredients to make grated carrot salad for weight loss recipe:
- Carrot: Use fresh carrot in this recipe. Wash, peel and grate and then add it to a mixing bowl.
- Tomato: Use fresh ripe and firm tomato and shop it finely.
- Onion: Use finely chopped red onion in this recipe.
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro: Finely chopped cilantro leaves are added to this recipe and makes the salad nutritious.
- Chia seeds: I have sprinkled chia seeds after making mixing the salad ingredients. Let the salad rest for some time before serving. This ensures that chia seeds swell and you can reap the health benefits.
- Lemon juice: This is the only salad dressing I used. The lemon flavor makes the carrot salad taste fresh.
How to make grated carrot salad Indian?
- Recipe to make this healthy weight loss salad is simple.
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and toss well.
How to serve the raw carrot salad with chia seeds?
Let the salad rest for 20 minutes before serving. This way the chia seeds get time to swell.
Grated Carrot, Tomato And Onion With Chia Seeds
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds / tuka maria seeds / subza seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Mix and toss all the vegetables.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and chia seeds to the vegetables and toss this.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: Recipe was published on 17th Jan 2015. Updated with new images and step by step instructions.