Fish Masala Fry or Masala Fried Fish or pan fried fish is a yummy, easy and best fish fry recipe. This spicy fried fish recipe can also be called as tava fish fry as we fry the fish on a tava or a frying pan.
Fish tava fry recipe is very easy. Fish is cut into slices or pieces of desired thickness. Then it is marinated with spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger-garlic paste, tamarind paste and salt. The marinated fish is kept aside in fridge for minimum 30 minutes so that the spices get into the various layers of the fish.
What type of fish can be used for fish fry with masala?
This is the best masala fish fry recipe. I have used seer fish, but you can use any type of fish like white pomfret or mackerel or lady fish(kane) to prepare the fish masala fry. The marinated fish is then shallow fried in oil on both sides till it is cooked to perfection. I have also added few curry leaves while shallow frying the fish. But this is optional.
What are the other methods to fry fish?
There are other methods to fry fish too:
Rava fried fish is the most common fish recipe that you will find in every Goans house. Apart from that, you can also deep fry the fish, which is very common in South Indian states like Tamil nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala.
What is the difference between masala fish fry and tava fish fry?
There is no difference. Both masala fish fry and tava fish fry are same.
What type of tava can be used for making masala fish fry?
If you are making masala fry with seer fish or king-fish, ensure that the fish is thinly sliced. If you use mackerel or white pomfret, ensure that there are slits on either side of the fish so that it becomes easy for the marinade to seep deep inside.
What are the ingredients to make crispy pan fried fish with masala?
- Fish: I have used seer fish in this fish fry recipe. You can use mackerel, pomfret, pompano, lady fish, rohu, catla, silver fish, sardines, etc.
- Spice powders: Spices like red chili and turmeric powder are used in making the masala for the recipe.
- Garlic and ginger: I used garlic and ginger and then using a mortar and pestle made a paste from it. For making paste, peel the garlic and chop fine. Peel ginger and chop and then add both garlic and ginger to mortar and pestle, crush till you get nice paste.
- Tamarind: I used whole tamarind and soaked it in little warm water to make tamarind paste. If you cannot get whole tamarind, then just purchase tamarind paste from any Indian store. You can add 2 tablespoon tamarind paste in the recipe.
- Curry leaves: This is an optional ingredient. You can make masala fish fry without curry leaves. But if you have curry leaves, do add it to the recipe.
- Oil: I used sunflower oil while frying the fish. You can use coconut oil or any oil which you prefer for deep frying.
How to make fish fry coated with masala?
- First we have to marinate the fish – For this take a small bowl and add all the ingredients except fish, oil and curry leaves. Mix them well by adding 1 or 2 tablespoon water and make thick paste.
- Take a slice of fish and apply the thick masala paste generously on both sides. Repeat this for other fish slices/pieces. Keep it in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Take a tava or frying pan and smear oil.
- After oil is heated, place the masala marinated fish slices on it and cook for 5 to 8 minutes on low flame or heat.
- Spread 1 tablespoon oil on top of the fish.
- Flip the masala coated fish to other side and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on low flame.
- Shallow fry the fish nicely on both sides till it is cooked.
- Add curry leaves on the tava or frying pan in the end and fry then too. This imparts a yummy aroma to the fish masala.
Fish Masala Fry | Tava Fish Fry | Pan Fried Fish
- Frying pan
- 4 slices seer fish / king fish / surmai
- 3 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 pods garlic peeled
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled
- 1 marble sized ball tamarind
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 4-5 tablespoon oil for shallow frying
- To taste Salt
- First wash the fish slices and keep it aside.
- Using mortar and pestle, make paste from ginger and garlic.
- Take the tamarind ball and soak it in 2 tablespoon water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, squeeze the pulp and extract thick tamarind pulp. Discard the tamarind solids.
- Take a small bowl and add the ingredients for marination – red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, tamarind pulp and salt. Mix well. If needed add 1 or 2 tablespoon water and mix well to form a thick paste.
- Now, take a slice of fish on your palm and apply masala paste on it generously on both sides. Repeat this for other slices of fish too. Keep it aside to marinate for minimum 30 minutes. You can keep it in fridge too.
Now let’s masala fry the fish:
- Take a tava or frying pan and add 2 tablespoon oil. You can use cast iron pan or non-stick pan.
- After oil is heated, place the marinated fish slices and cook them for 5-8 minutes on low.
- Spread 1 tablespoon oil on top of the fish.
- Flip the fish to other side and cook for 8-10 minutes on low flame.
- Shallow fry the fish nicely on both sides.
- Add curry leaves on the tava or pan in end and fry them along with the fish.
- Always make ginger-garlic paste using mortar and pestle. Try not to use store bought ginger-garlic paste.
- If tamarind is not available, apply 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the fish.
- Addition of curry leaves in the end is optional.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: This post might contain affiliate links.