Fish Masala Fry or Masala Fried Fish or pan fried fish is a yummy and easy fish fry recipe. This spicy fried fish recipe can also be called as tava fish fry as we fry the fish on a tava or a frying pan.
Fish tava fry recipe is very easy. Fish is cut into slices or pieces of desired thickness. Then it is marinated with spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger-garlic paste, tamarind paste and salt. The marinated fish is kept aside in fridge for minimum 30 minutes so that the spices get into the various layers of the fish.
This is the best masala fish fry recipe. I have used seer fish, but you can use any type of fish like white pomfret or mackerel to prepare the fish masala fry. The marinated fish is then shallow fried in oil on both sides till it is cooked to perfection. I have also added few curry leaves while shallow frying the fish. But this is optional.
There are other methods to fry fish too. Rava fried fish is the most common fish recipe that you will find in every Goans house. Apart from that, you can also deep fry the fish, which is very common in South Indian states like Tamil nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala.
If you are making masala fry with seer fish or king-fish, ensure that the fish is thinly sliced. If you use mackerel or white pomfret, ensure that there are slits on either side of the fish so that it becomes easy for the marinade to seep deep inside.
I have used tamarind paste in this fish masala fry recipe. You can even use lemon juice. Serve the masala fried fish with rice and Goan fish curry. Check out other Goan recipes.
Fish Masala Fry | Tava Fish Fry | Pan Fried Fish
- 4 slices seer fish / king fish / surmai
- 3 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 pods garlic peeled
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled
- 1 marble sized ball tamarind
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 4-5 tablespoon oil for shallow frying
- To taste Salt
- First wash the fish slices and keep it aside.
- Using mortar and pestle, make paste from ginger and garlic.
- Take the tamarind ball and soak it in 2 tablespoon water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, squeeze the pulp and extract thick tamarind pulp. Discard the tamarind solids.
- Take a small bowl and add the ingredients for marination – red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, tamarind pulp and salt. Mix well. If needed add 1 or 2 tablespoon water and mix well to form a thick paste.
- Now, take a slice of fish on your palm and apply fish paste on it generously on both sides. Repeat this for other slices of fish too. Keep it aside to marinate for minimum 30 minutes. You can keep it in fridge too.
Now let’s masala fry the fish:
- Take a tava or frying pan and add 2 tablespoon oil. You can use cast iron pan or non-stick pan.
- After oil is heated, place the marinated fish slices and cook them for 5-8 minutes on low.
- Spread 1 tablespoon oil on top of the fish.
- Flip the fish to other side and cook for 8-10 minutes on low flame.
- Shallow fry the fish nicely on both sides.
- Add curry leaves on the tava or pan in end and fry them along with the fish.
- Always make ginger-garlic paste using mortar and pestle. Try not to use store bought ginger-garlic paste.
- If tamarind is not available, apply 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the fish.
- Addition of curry leaves in the end is optional.