Ingredients: Cook Time: 20 Minutes, Serves: 4
4-5 dry mackerel
10-12 teffla/sichuan pepper
1/4 inch ginger
1/2 cup grated coconut(coconut of small size)
1 marble sized ball of tamarind
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
4-5 dry red chillies / shepda
1 green chilli – cut into 2 parts
1 teaspoon oil
Cleaning the dry mackerel
- Soak the dry mackerel for 2 hrs.
- After 2 hrs, cut off the tails and the head part.
- Scrap the skin of the mackerel by using a knife or sharp spoon.
- After scrapping, dip it in water.
- Now peel of the dry flesh carefully. Remove all the thorns.
For the gravy:
- Grind grated coconut, turmeric powder, tamarind, peppercorns and red chillies.
- Slightly crush the teffla.
- In an aluminium bowl, add oil. Add ginger and green chilly.
- Now add the fish and fry in medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now pour the gravy and stir. Add 1/2 cup water.
- While boiling add crushed teffla, salt and stir.
- Boil for 10 minutes by keeping the utensil covered.
Note: The gravy should neither be too thick nor too thin.
This post was originally published on 24th April 2011 and has been updated with new pictures and revamped on 7th Jan 2017.
Also check out top 10 Goan fish curry recipes.