Prawns curry is a famous and one of the favorite curries in Goa. Prawns curry with vegetables like radish and raw mango is yet another version of Goan Prawns Curry. This curry is simple to prepare and tastes best when served with Goan boiled rice or “ukde tandul”. You can serve it with steamed rice too. In Goa, this prawn’s curry is known as “Sungatache Hooman”. “Sungta” means prawns and “hooman” means fish curry.
This prawns in coconut milk curry is my favorite comfort food and I always want to have it especially when I return from vacations and trips out of India. This prawn’s curry with radish and raw mango also has onion added. Addition of different vegetables to this curry makes it nutritious too.
Prawns curry recipe Goan is also a star in any events or parties in Goa. A lunch or dinner buffet menu will mostly have steamed rice, Goan prawns curry with coconut and sol kadi and sometimes fried fish and prawns balchao too. Other chicken and veg items will also be on the menu.
How to make prawns curry with vegetables like radish and raw mango?
Preparing this prawns curry with radish and raw mango is simple. Clean the prawns by removing the shell and backbone. You can check the video below on how to clean the prawns. After cleaning wash and marinate the prawns by applying red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside for minimum 30 minutes. If you want to marinate for longer, then keep the prawns in refrigerator.
After marinating, peel and chop raw mango, radish and onion. Grind together – grated coconut, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, tamarind and red chilies by adding sufficient water to make gravy. After the gravy is ready, heat a kadai and add ¼ cup water and chopped vegetables. Add marinated prawns and let this get cooked. Pour the gravy and mix well. Add ½ cup water and mix. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste by keeping in mind that salt was added to prawns in the marination step.
How to serve prawns curry with vegetables?
Serve this curry with prawns with Goan boiled rice known as “ukde tandul”. You can also serve it with white steamed rice.
Prawns Curry With Radish And Raw Mango
- 15-20 Prawns / Shrimps de-shelled and de-veined
- 1/2 raw mango peeled and chopped
- 1 radish peeled and chopped into 1 inch long pieces
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup grated coconut coconut of
- 1 tamarind marbled sized ball
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2-3 dry red chilies byadgi chilies / shepda in
Konkani / Kashmiri red chilies
- 5 black pepper corns
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 onion chopped
For marinating the prawns:
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Apply the turmeric powder, chili powder and salt to prawns. Marinate for minimum 30 minutes. If you want to marinate for longer time, then keep the marinated prawns in refrigerator.
- Grind, grated coconut, turmeric powder, tamarind, peppercorns, coriander and red chilies by adding 3/4th cup water.
- In a kadai, add 1/4th cup water, prawns, chopped onion, radish and raw mango pieces. Add 2 tablespoon gravy to this. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Then pour the gravy from mixer and stir. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Let it get cooked for another 10 minutes.
- Switch of the gas.
- Add salt to taste.
Remember that the prawns were marinated with salt. So add only 1/2 teaspoon salt first. Taste and add more if needed.
- The gravy should neither be too thick nor too thin.
- Remember that the prawns were marinated with salt.
- Hog plums can also be added to the curry instead of raw mango.