Goan Prawns Curry with Radish is another delicious type of curry which can be served as main course. This delicious curry made with prawns is usually served with boiled rice and some delicious fried fish. You might be wondering what are the ingredients of authentic Goan prawns curry right? Well those are listed in the recipe below. This Goan style prawns curry is made with coconut, fresh spices, onion and radish.
In Goa, there are various ways in which prawns curry is made. Different types of vegetables like lady fingers, raw mango, bilimbi, radish or drumsticks are added to make this Goan style prawns curry. In Goa, fresh spices and freshly grated coconut is added to fish curries. We don’t use sambar masalas except turmeric powder. Fresh or dry prawns can be added to make the prawns curry. You can check this recipe to make Goan Prawns Curry With Dry Prawns.
We make different types of fish curries in Goa. We make different types of fish curries are in Goa like king fish curry, lady fish curry, mackerel curry, etc. Prawns Curry is an all-time favorite. I just love the prawns curry that we make at home and it is my favorite comfort food.
You can make this prawns curry in Hawkins Futura Non-Stick Sauce Pan with Glass lid, 3 Litres . This is my affiliate link. I will earn a small fee if you purchase using my link. Yup, you won’t loose anything. That is a great way to support my blog too. Ok.. Now, let’s head over to the recipe.
Goan Prawns Curry With Radish
- 20 Shrimps/Prawns
- 1/2 grated coconut coconut of small size
- 1 marble sized ball tamarind
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 dry red chillies / byadgi chilies / shepda in Konkani
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 radish peeled and chopped into 1 inch finger sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon oil
For marinating the prawns:
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- De-shell and devein the prawns.
- Apply the turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Leave this for minimum 30 Minutes. If you want to marinate for longer time, then keep the marinated prawns in refrigerator.
For the gravy:
- Grind, grated coconut, turmeric powder, tamarind, peppercorns, coriander and red chillies. After grinding the gravy is ready. We will cook prawns in this gravy.
- In a kadai, add 1/4 cup water, marinated prawns and chopped radish. Add 2 tablespoon ground gravy to this. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the rest of the ground gravy and stir. Add ½ cup water and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes
- Let it get cooked for another 10 minutes switch of the gas.
- Now in a tadka/seasoning pan, add oil preferably coconut oil. Once the oil gets heated add chopped onion and fry till it gets burnt. After onion gets burnt, give a tadka of burnt onion to the gravy and close the lid.
- Add salt to taste. Remember that the prawns were marinated with salt. So add only 1/4 teaspoon salt first. Taste and add more if needed.