Paneer Jalfreizi is a yummy Indian gravy. It is served in Indian restaurants. This gravy is tomato based. Paneer and sautéed vegetables are added to this semi-dry gravy. Paneer is known as Indian cheese. This can be easily made at home from scratch. You can refer to this step-by step pictures to make paneer from scratch post.
How to serve paneer jalfreizi?
Make paneer jalfreizi for home parties and impress your guests. You can serve it with naan and rotis. You can also serve it with rice like jeera rice or peas pulao. This semi-dry paneer gravy serves as an excellent side dish too. Serve this semi-gravy to kids and adults.
I have been making lot of paneer dishes at home like paneer butter masala, palak paneer and paneer burji. Paneer contains lot of proteins and is good for health. My family loves dishes made with paneer and it is a favorite in the veg menu. Any vegetarian food menu is incomplete without paneer. So if you are planning any vegetarian party, you can make this yummy paneer jalfreizi recipe.
Paneer jalfreizi is a healthy dish for fussy kids. It is loaded with vegetables like carrot, capsicum, onion and tomato. I make this gravy for my kid, but she picks only the paneer pieces and eats them and leaves the rest for me 😀 However, I convince her and make her eat the vegetables. She loves the mildly spicy gravy too.
- 250 grams paneer / Indian cottage cheese cut into 2 inch thin finger like strips
- 2 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 medium sized Tomato cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup carrot cut into 2 inch thin finger like strips
- 1 capsicum cut lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- To taste Salt
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Finely chopped Coriander Leaves for garnish
- Take a pan and heat it. Add oil to it. After oil gets heated, add cumin seeds.
- After cumin seeds crackle, add onion and sauté till onion becomes pinkish.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and sauté.
- Add tomato and stir fry for 2 minutes till tomato becomes slightly soft.
- Add carrot and capsicum one by one. Cover the pan with lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and mix well. Cover the pan with lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, add tomato sauce, spice powders like red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cup water, mix and cook for 4 minutes.
- After the gravy starts thickening, add paneer fingers and mix well.
- Crush kasuri methi between palms of hand and sprinkle it over the gravy and mix well.
- Cook for 5 minutes or till gravy turns thick.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.