Goan fried crabs is an easy crab recipe in which marinated crabs and crab legs are coated with spiced semolina and shallow fried till crispy. This is also known as rava fried crabs or spiced semolina fried crabs. This can be cooked with soft shell crabs or medium hard shell crabs. When cooked with medium hard shell crabs, discard the shell and eat the crab meat. This is a delicious and easy crab starter or crab appetizer recipe.
Fish fry is very common in Goa. We make different types of fish fry like king fish rava fry, prawns rava fry, stuffed mackerel, etc. In the similar way we can also make fried crabs and fried crab legs. Not many people are aware that crabs can also be coated with semolina and tava fried. Just try it out, it turns delicious.
You might like other crab recipes like:
Ingredients to make semolina coated fried crabs:
- Crabs: Soft shell crabs or medium hard shell crabs and crab legs can be used to to make rava fried crabs.
- Spices: Red chili powder and turmeric powder are the two types of spices used in this recipe.
- Semolina: Use fine rava or semolina to make this recipe.
- Oil: Any type of cooking oil can be used in shallow frying the semolina coated crabs.
How to make fried crabs?
- First cut the crab and crab legs. Wash them and marinate them by applying spice powders like turmeric powder and red chili powder.
- In a plate add rava or semolina, spice powders and salt and mix. Coat the crabs with semolina.
- Heat a frying pan and drizzle oil. Place the spiced semolina crabs and shallow fry them on both sides till the rava turns brownish and crab meat gets cooked. It will take 15 minutes for the crabs to get cooked.
Also try top 10 Goan fish curry recipes.
Spiced Semolina Crabs and Crab Legs Fry | Rava Fried Crabs
- Tava / frying pan
- Mixing bowl
- 4-5 crabs
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup rava/semolina
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Break the crab legs.
- Marinate the crabs as follows:
- Add all the crab pieces into a bowl.
- Apply 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon chilli powder.
- Mix well and keep aside for 15 minutes.
For frying the crabs:
- Mix rava(semolina), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric powder and chilli powder.
- Coat the marinated crabs in rava.
- Heat the frying pan and spread oil. Place the semolina coated crabs on the pan. Add little oil on top of the crabs and shallow fry on low flame.
- After 10 minutes flip them to the other side. If desired add more oil after flipping to the other side.
- Fry them for 15 minutes. You know they are done when the rava turns brownish and a nice aroma gets emitted from the crab.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: The recipe was published on 13th Oct 2014 and is republished.