How to fry king fish?
Ingredients to cook this surmai fish fry:
This recipe needs the following ingredients:
Fish – Thin cut slices of king fish should be used in this recipe.
Spices – Spice powders like turmeric powder and red chili powder is used for marinating the king fish. These powders are also added to rava/semolina while coating the fish.
Tamarind paste – This is optional ingredient. But if used during marination, the taste of fish turns awesome.
Rava / Semolina – This is used for coating the fish before shallow frying.
Oil – Coconut oil or sunflower oil can be used for shallow frying.
How to cut king fish for the Goan style king fish fry recipe?
King Fish Fry
- Tava / frying pan
- 1 kg King Fish
- For Marinating the fish:
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste optional
- 1 tablespoon salt
- For Coating the fish:
- 1 cup rawa / semolina
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Wash the king fish till its clean.
- In a small plate, mix salt, chilly and turmeric powder.
- To this add 2 tablespoon water and make a thick paste.
- You can even mix tamarind/garlic paste in this.
- Apply this to the fish and let it marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- For frying:
- Mix the rice flour, rawa, pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon each of turmeric powder and chilly powder. Put this on a big plate.
- Coat the King fish in this rawa. Ensure that it is covered with rawa on both sides and the edges too.
- Heat the frying pan and spread 1 tablespoon oil. Add more if required.
- Place the fish on the pan and fry on low flame.
- After 10 minutes turn them to the other side.
- Fry them for 20 minutes.
- You know they are done when they turn brown.
- Always fry fish on low flame and do not cover it while frying.
- Marinated fish will stay fresh in deep freezer for upto 2 weeks.
- Just thaw and fry.
If you like the recipe, try it out and add it on social media with hashtag #rakshaskitchen. Follow us on instagram and other social channels with handle @rakshaskitchen
Pin this image on pinterest