Today’s recipe is Persian Eggplant Stew or Khoresht Bademjan which is very popular in Parsi cuisine. “Khoresh” means stew in Parsi. This stew is made with eggplant, tomatoes and spices. This stew is normally served on a bed of steamed basmati rice. You can add meat to this stew or make this classic veg version.
Eggplant is a rich source of dietary fiber and vitamin B1. It helps in protecting the heart. It also helps improve blood flow to brain due to the presence of a chemical called nasunin. Regular consumption of eggplant helps in maintaining weight and gives a glowing complexion and healthy skin. You can take this Persian eggplant stew to office too and have it along with steamed rice.
Ingredients: Prep. Time: 45 Mins, Serves: 4
1 medium sized eggplant
2 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon salt
- Peel and cube the eggplant. Place the cubed eggplant in a colander.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon salt over it and keep it aside for 30 minutes. This will remove any sort of bitterness in the eggplants.
- After sprinkling salt, it will release water. Pat it dry with paper towel.
- Heat a kadai and add oil. After the oil gets heated, add onions and fry till onions turn pinkish.
- Add garlic and saute till aroma of garlic gets released or for 1 minute.
- Now add the chopped eggplant and cook till eggplant softens and water gets released.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add the spice powders namely turmeric powder, cumin, red chili powder, cinnamon powder and pepper powder and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Cover the kadai and simmer for 20 minutes or till the eggplant gets cooked.
- Check the taste and adjust salt and mix.