Pomfret rava fry or pomfret fry is a delicious Goan recipe made with silver pomfret. In Goa, pomfret is called as paalet in Konkani. Various recipes can be cooked with pomfret like fish curry , stuffed pomfret with green masala or simple rava fried pomfret as mentioned in today’s recipe. The other day I realized that my favorite pomfret rava fry recipe is not on the website and decided to publish it soon.
My daughter also loves fried surmai, but whenever I make pomfret fry she starts jumping as she gets to see the entire fish on her plate and not just a piece like in the case of surmai or seer fish. She waits for the weekends for me to make delicious fish recipes. My family loves the spicy crispy semolina coating on top of the fish.
I normally get fish from nearby local super store. The fish monger cleans and cuts fish just the way I want. Though I know to cook fish, I still never gathered courage to cut and clean fish. I have mastered the art of cleaning prawns but not fish. After getting the chopped fish, I clean it again and wash it several times under running water.
Marination is very important for fish. Mostly I apply turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt for marination. But for fish like pomfret or surmai, I also add tamarind paste and crushed garlic along with turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. I make a thick paste with little water and apply it to the fish, inside the slits and even inside the open part near the mouth. Fish should be marinated for atleast 30 minutes.
Pomfret Rava Fry Or Rava Fried Pomfret is a delicious fish fry recipe.
Cooking rava fried pomfret is very easy. I always add turmeric powder, red chili powder and little salt in rava and mix. The marinated fish is then coated with rava. I also fill some rava in the slits and in the mouth. After coating the pomfret with rava, I shallow fry the fish on low flame on a cast iron tava with little oil for atleast 20 minutes. I never fry fish on high flame as the rava coating gets burnt. But if we fry it on low flame the rava retains the taste. Cooking for longer time ensures that fish gets cooked thoroughly on both sides too.
So enjoy the pomfret rava fry recipe and also let me know which other fish recipes you would love to see on my website.
- 4 white pomfret
For marinating the pomfret:
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste optional
- 4 Garlic Pods crushed into paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Salt
For coating the fish:
- 1 cup rava / semolina preferably fine rava or sooji
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoon oil or as needed
- Wash the pomfret, remove the scales. Cut the head part and clean the stomach. Wash again and make 2 cuts on either side of the pomfret fish.
- Marinate the pomfret by applying the ingredients mentioned for marination – turmeric powder, red chili powder, tamarind paste, crushed garlic and salt. Fill the slits with marinade. Also fill the open part near mouth with marinade. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Take a plate and add ingredients for coating the fish – rava/semolina, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt and mix.
- Take the marinated pomfret and dip it in the rava on the plate.
- Coat the marinated white pomfret on both sides with the rava. Fill some rava inside the mouth and slits.
- Using hands apply rava on the pomfret to cover the coating evenly.
- Heat a frying pan and spread 2 tablespoon oil.
- Place the rava coated pomfret on the frying pan.
- Spread little oil on top of the pomfret.
- Shallow fry on low flame for around 10 minutes and slowly flip to other side and fry for another 10 minutes.