Stuffed pomfret is a delicious pomfret fry recipe stuffed with paste made of coriander leaves, coconut, onion and spices, coated with rava or flour and shallow fried. This Goan stuffed fish fry recipe with green chutney tastes delicious and can be served as an appetizer just like Goan recheado fish fry in which fish is stuffed with red masala.
The stuffed pomfret green masala fry recipe is so yummy that you feel like eating it often. In Goa, pomfret fish is known as “paplet”. The paplet fry recipe is mildly spiced and can be served to young and old. This silver pomfret or white pomfret is one of the tastiest fish.
Various pomfret recipes can be cooked with this fish. It can be deep fried, pan fried or grilled. You can even make delicious fish curry with pomfret or even make delicious Goan stuffed pomfret recipe. The same recipe can be made with small black pomfret too.
The health benefits of white pomfret are that they are rich in protein and omega 3 fatty acids and is known to increase good cholesterol and reduce bad cholesterol. Also, it is a good source of calcium and vitamins like vitamin A, D and B. Since it is rich in vitamin B12 it is vital for nervous system. It also helps maintain good eyesight, healthy hair and skin.
Let us see the ingredients to make Goan stuffed pomfret with green masala:
- Pomfret: Fresh white pomfret or silver pomfret can be used in this Goan fish fry recipe.
- For marination: For marinating fish use red chili powder and turmeric powder. Also add little salt.
- For green masala stuffing: Green chilis, coriander leaves, finely chopped onion, freshly grated coconut, garlic pods, ginger, tamarind and spices like coriander seeds, black pepper and cumin seeds are used to make the delicious green chutney to stuff inside the pomfret fish. This is the masala paste used for making Chutney stuffed pomfret.
- Flour: Rice flour and rava(semolina) are mixed together and applied to fish after stuffing it. This helps in keeping the stuffing intact and helps in making crispy fish fry.
- Oil: Oil is used for shallow frying. Use any type of oil like vegetable oil or sunflower oil or mustard oil or coconut to shallow fry the fish.
How to make stuffed pomfret fry or Stuffed pomfret with green chutney?
- Clean the fish by cutting its head, fins and tail. Don’t cut into pieces. Just make a side slit near. Check this video to know how to cut and clean pomfret.
- Marinate the fish by applying chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Grind or blend all the ingredients (except onion) meant for stuffing into a thick paste. You can add 1/4 cup water while grinding. Don’t make the paste too watery, keep it a bit thick.
- Mix raw finely chopped onion into the paste, add little salt and mix well.
- Form the slit side of the fish, stuff it with ground masala. Apply some masala paste on all sides of the fish.
- Keep the flour ready by mixing the ingredients meant for coating.
- Coat the stuffed pomfret with mixed flour on all the sides.
- Heat the frying pan and spread oil as needed. After oil gets heated, place the semolina coated stuffed pomfret on the frying pan. After 10 minutes, using 2 spatulas gently turn or flip it to the other side.
- Put a little oil in the top of the flipped pomfret. Fry it for another 15 minutes. Switch off the gas.
Alright coming back to today’s recipe, you can make this stuffed pomfret with the green masala that I have mentioned today or recheado masala mentioned in this post. Serve it with mackerel fish curry and steamed white rice. Having sol kadhi or kokum kadhi at the end with some white rice completes a Goan meal.
Enjoy today’s post and do let me know how your stuffed white pomfret turns. Try this rava fried black pomfret recipe too.
- 2 white pomfrets – medium sized
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 green chilis
- 4 tablespoon grated coconut
- 6 garlic pods
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 inch piece of tamarind
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 4-5 black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 medium sized finely chopped onion
- 1 cup rava
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Clean the fish by cutting only its head, fins and tail. Make a slit on one.
- Marinate the fish by applying 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and salt.
- Grind or blend all the ingredients meant for stuffing except the chopped onion. You can add 1/4 cup water while grinding. Don’t make the paste too watery, keep it a bit thick.
- Add raw chopped onion to the paste and ¼ tsp salt and mix well.
- From the slit part, stuff the fish with the prepared green masala with onion. Apply some masala paste on all sides of the fish.
- On a plate, mix rava(semolina), rice flour and little salt.
- Coat the stuffed pomfret with prepared rava on all the sides.
- Heat the frying pan and spread oil. After oil gets heated, place the rava coated stuffed pomfret on the frying pan. After 10 minutes using 2 spatulas, gently turn it to the other side.
- Put little oil in the top of the turned pomfret. Fry it further for 15 minutes. Switch off the gas.
Serve it hot. Refer to this video to know how to cut and clean pomfret.
Pin this image on Pinterest. Also please comment and rate the recipe.
Note: The recipe was published on 26 Nov 2015 and is republished.