Rice kheer or Goan rice payas is a traditional Indian pudding recipe made with rice, milk, sugar, dry fruits and flavoured with green cardamom powder. This kheer with rice is an easy recipe and can be made with left over rice too. Get step by step pictures of how to do rice payasam in pressure cooker.
Kheer is also known as payasa or payasam. In Goa, rice kheer recipe with milk is known as tandlacho payas and sometimes just payas. This Goan payas is a must make dessert during Ganesh Chaturthi along with modak, varan rice ,mooga gathi and mangane. This is a great recipe to reuse leftover rice, however for festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi, it is made freshly by cooking rice in pressure cooker or in a deep utensil on stove top.
What is kheer?
Kheer or payasam is an Indian sweet pudding made with rice, milk, sugar, dry fruits and is flavoured with cardamom powder or saffron strands. Instead of rice, vermicelli, lentils like Bengal gram dal (chana dal), sago or broken wheat can be used. Kheer can also be made with fruits like mango, apple, carrot or with vegetables like bottle gourd, sweet potato and carrot.
You might want to check some kheer recipes here:
Ingredients to make kheer rice pudding:
- Rice: Use basmati rice to make this delicious Indian rice pudding. You can even make this kheer with black rice or brown rice.
- Milk: Use dairy milk to make this delicious recipe. You can even make rice kheer with condensed milk. To make vegan kheer, just replace dairy milk with almond milk or coconut milk.
- Sugar: Sugar is added to provide sweetness to the kheer recipe. Sugar can be replaced with jaggery too.
- Cardamom powder: Green cardamom powder is added to add flavour to the kheer recipe.
- Dry fruits: Dry fruits like raisins, almonds and cashewnuts can be added to this Indian kheer recipe.
How to cook rice kheer?
This kheer recipe is very easy to make. Wash rice and soak for 15 minutes. Cook rice either in a pressure cooker on a deep bottomed utensil on a stove top. Add milk, sugar, dry fruits, cardamom powder and salt and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot. This recipe can also be directly made in an Instant pot.
How to make kheer with cooked rice?
If you already have cooked rice, then it is very easy to turn it into delicious kheer. Just add it to boiling milk along with sugar, cardamom powder and dry fruits. Cook for 5 minutes and add little salt to taste and mix.
How to make vegan kheer ?
It is very easy to turn this kheer vegan. Just replace dairy milk with almond milk or coconut milk just like this Goan sweet potato kheer.
Also get a list of best Indian kheer recipes.
Rice Kheer | Goan Rice Payas
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 cups milk
- 10 raisins
- 8 cashewnuts chopped into pieces
- 8 almonds chopped into pieces
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 3/4 th cup sugar
- 4 green cardamom peeled and crushed
- Few saffron strands optional
- 3 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook rice by adding 3 cups water.
- Soak raisins, cashewnuts and almonds in warm milk.
- Boil milk in a saucepan and when it just stars boiling, add sugar and stir.
- Add cooked rice and salt and simmer by occasionally stirring for around 5 minutes.
- Garnish with ghee roasted raisins, cashewnuts and almonds and cardamom powder.
- This recipe can be made with left over rice too. Just add milk, sugar, dry fruits and cardamom powder to cooked rice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Pin this image on Pinterest to make it later.