Prawns pepper fry is a delicious and spicy stir fry made with prawns or shrimps with black pepper and cumin powder. This shrimp stir fry can be prepared in just 15 minutes and can be served as an appetizer. Serve it with a dash of lemon for the lemony pepper taste. Find step by step pictures to make this delicious black pepper prawns.
Pepper prawns recipe is spicy and very easy recipe. Prawns are cooked with onion and capsicum with spicy black pepper powder. Curry leaves, red and green chillies are also added to this recipe for added heat. This can be adjusted as per spice tolerance levels.
Ingredients to make Prawn pepper fry recipe Indian:
- Prawns: Prawns or shrimps can be used in this recipe. Tiger prawns can also be used to make this delicious prawn pepper masala.
- Onion: Red onion is used in this recipe.
- Ginger and garlic: Ginger and garlic minced, or paste should be used in this recipe for flavour and taste.
- Capsicum: Any colour green, yellow or red bell pepper can be used in this recipe.
- Curry leaves: Curry leaves is optional but if added makes the dish tasty and provides strong earthy taste and aroma.
- Chillies: Dry red chillies and green chillies are used in this recipe to add heat. The quantity can be altered as per taste.
- Spice powders: Black pepper powder and cumin powder are the two spice powders used in this spicy shrimp pepper fry recipe.
- For marination: Red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt are the ingredients used for marinating the prawns.
How to cook prawn pepper fry?
- First marinate the prawns by applying the spice powders – red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep aside.
- In a pan, add oil and heat. Add curry leaves and chillies and fry for few seconds.
- Add onion and bell pepper and sauté.
- Add prawns, black pepper powder, cumin powder and salt to taste and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Other prawns recipes:
- Prawn 65
- Beer batter prawns
- Devilled eggs with shrimps
- Prawns pickle
- Goan prawns curry with drumsticks
- Semolina fried prawns
How to serve Prawn pepper fry dry?
Health benefits of prawns:
Prawns are rich in protein. They also contain zinc, iron and vitamin E. They are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids and have less very less saturated fat. They also increase the cholesterol levels, so please do not consume them regularly.
How to clean prawns or shrimps before cooking?
Wash the shrimps under running water. Remove and discard the head. Remove the shell, then remove the black thread in the backbone. Clean it in water. You can see this video of how to clean prawns or shrimps easily at home.
Prawns Pepper Fry
- 10-15 medium sized prawns or shrimps
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For making prawns pepper fry:
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 dry red chillies
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 medium sized onion julienned
- ½ medium sized capsicum juliennes
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced or paste
- ½ tablespoon ginger minced or paste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped for garnish
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Marinate prawns by applying red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Add oil in a pan and let it get heated.
- Add curry leaves and chillies and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onion julienne and sauté till onion turns pinkish.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté.
- Add capsicum and sauté.
- After capsicum is cooked slightly, add marinated prawns and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add black pepper powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander seeds.
- While adding salt to the pan, add slightly less as salt was applied to prawns while marinating too.
- Curry leaves can be an optional ingredient.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: This recipe was published on 20th Feb 2014 and is republished with new step by step images.