Some time back I had been to the millet fair in Bangalore. I fell in love with millets from that day. Got home different types of millets and started experimenting with them. I made millets dosa, millet idli, millet pudding, millet bhakri. The recipes for millet idli and millet bhakri are not yet present on the blog. They will be published after few days. Today’s recipe is millet tomato rice. I made it using foxtail millets. You can make this recipe with any type of millets.
Millets are very healthy and filling. You can have them at any time of the day. Just prepare it like normal rice. The millet tomato rice that I prepared today, is similar to tomato rice recipe which I made using basmati rice. Just replace rice with millets. Rest of the recipe remains the same.
You can even pack this millet tomato rice in your lunch box. My kid loves to take it to school. Make this millet tomato rice for potlucks. I am sure it will be a big hit there. It can be served with healthy vegetable raita and pickle.
Add millets to your diet and take a step towards healthy living. Eat healthy food and live a health life 🙂
Purchase Vaya Lunch box by clicking on the below link. This is my affiliate link and if you make a purchase, I will get some commission.
Millet Tomato RicePrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup foxtail millets
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 4 Garlic Pods finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods crushed
- 1 inch cinnamon
- A pinch asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 4 tablespoon Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- Wash and soak millets in 5 cups water and keep aside for 1 hour. After 1 hour, drain the soaked millets on a colander. Discard the water.
- Heat the pressure cooker pan and add 2 tablespoon oil.
- After oil gets heated, add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Next add onion and sauté till onion turns pinkish
- Add finely chopped garlic and sauté till raw smell goes away.
- Next, add chopped tomato and mix well. Cook on low flame with lid covered with a plate.
- After 2-3 minutes open and sauté till tomato turns mushy.
- Add chopped mint and coriander leaves and sauté for 2 minutes
- Add ginger-garlic paste and masalas (turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and black pepper powder) and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and mix.
- Next add soaked millets and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and close the pressure cooker lid. Place the whistle or weight.
- Switch off the gas after 2 whistles and let the tomato rice get cooked on internal pressure from the pressure cooker.
- Wait for the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker and using the fork fluff the millet tomato rice.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.