I had Rava/Sooji in my pantry. Thought of trying something new… Instant rava idlis … a healthy recipe which can be a good breakfast option or also a healthy snack.
1 cup rawa/sooji/semolina
1 cup curds / yogurt
1/2 cup carrot, peeled and rated
1/2 cup onion, cut length wise
1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
Handful of chopped coriander leaves
10 – 12 curry leaves
1 teaspoon urad dal
1/4 teaspoon cooking soda or 1/4 teaspoon of eno fruit salt
2 teaspoon home-made ghee, for greasing the idli molds
- Heat a kadai. Roast the rawa/semolina till nice aroma comes from it. Let it cool for sometime.
- Mix the rawa and curd, add soda to it. Keep it aside.
- The batter consistency should be like normal idli batter.
- In a pan, add oil. When oil gets heated, add mustard seeds. Let mustard seeds splutter.
- After they stop spluttering, add curry leaves and urad dal.
- Fry for a minute. Add onions and fry till they turn pinkish.
- After the onion turns pinkish, add the other vegetables and fry for sometime.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves over it.
- Switch off the gas and let it cool.
- After the vegetable mixture cools, mix the rava idli batter and sauted vegetables from the pan.
- Grease the idli molds with home-made ghee. Add sufficient quantity of idli batter to it and cook them in a idli cooker for 25 to 30 minutes.
Serve with love.
You can purchase this idli steamer from Amazon -> Pigeon 4-Plates Idly Maker
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
This post was published on 15th March 2012. Updated the post with new images today – 17th Aug 2018. The text in post is not altered.