It’s been a long time since I made jelly and custard. My little one wanted to eat jelly and hubby wanted custard. I wanted both jelly and custard. Thus, I had planned a jelly custard shot recipe for Valentine’s Day, but due to office work and daily calls I just could not find time to cook this recipe and make something my family loved.
Thanks to the Monday morning blues. Last Monday I just did not feel like going to office. But somehow I got ready, packed my laptop, caught the metro and reached office on time. Soon after reaching office, I saw the sleepy faces of my colleagues and very soon I realized that the internet connection was down due to network failure and would take long time to get fixed. That very moment, I decided to sneak out of office, go home and do something that I love to do. Yes! Believe me. I caught the metro and reached home. Found the jelly and custard packets lying on the kitchen shelf looking at me desperately. I quickly checked the fridge and found that I have all the ingredients at hand.
I cooked the jelly and custard separately for making these jelly custard shots. Chilled them in the refrigerator. Clicked pictures and then I waited for my hubby and kid to come home to enjoy a lovely surprise. Oh Yes! They were indeed surprised.
More than any celebration, I was happy because I did something which was not a part of my daily routine. I did not even attend the daily status call in the evening. But I enjoyed cooking more dishes and desserts. I cooked some more dishes, painted some boards for food photography and really enjoyed my day alone in the peace and comfort of my beautiful home.
My family went ga ga over these jelly custard shots. At the end of the day I was very content that I did something which I love the most. I found solitude for the day by bunking all the responsibilities at office. The jelly custard shots were worth a shot and made my day.
Ingredients to make layered jelly and custard:
- Jelly powder: I have used store brought strawberry flavored jelly powder. Prepare it as per instructions on the packet. Any flavor of jelly can be used.
- Custard powder: I have used store brought vanilla custard powder. Prepare it as per instructions on the packet.
- Milk: I have used cow’s milk. You can even use skimmed milk.
- Sugar: Sweetener to be used in the dessert. I have used white sugar.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are used for garnishing.
Steps for preparing jelly custard shots:
- Prepare jelly as per instructions on the packet. Let it cool down. Once jelly cools, add 1/4th jelly to glass and keep it slanting with the help of other containers in fridge.
- Prepare custard as per instructions on the packet. Once custard cools down, pour it on jelly and refrigerate it.
- Garnish with strawberries.
Interested in creating shots out of jelly and custard? You can find the recipe below:
Jelly Custard Shots
- 1 packet (90 grams) strawberry jelly crystals
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon vanilla custard powder
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 500 ml milk you can take 2 and 1/2 cups milk
- 3 strawberries sliced, for garnish
- Prepare the jelly first as you would need it to get set. After preparing jelly, prepare custard.
Prepare the jelly as per instructions on the packet.
- According to my jelly packet first mix the jelly crystals and the hardening agent in a mixing bowl.
- Pour 3 cups of hot boiling water over it.
- Mix well and let it cool down. Do not refrigerate it at this time.
Prepare the custard as per the instructions on the packet:
- Pour milk in a saucepan and let it boil on low flame.
- While the milk is boiling, take a small bowl and add 2 tablespoon custard powder to it. Add 3 tablespoon of warm milk to it and make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Just when the milk is about to boil or when bubbles start appearing at the sides, add sugar and stir well.
- Pour the custard paste into the milk and stir well for 5 minutes on low flame.
- The custard will start thickening.
- Switch off the gas and let it cool under the fan.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: This post was published in 2017, republished with step by step instructions in 2020.