Mumbai Pav Bhaji is a popular street food on the streets of Mumbai. Now it is made in most of the restaurants in India. Pav Bhaji is made from mashed vegetables like potato, onion, tomato, carrots, beans, green peas, capsicum, etc. Potato is the start ingredient here.
Ingredients: Prep. Time: 30 Minutes, Serves: 6
3 medium sized potatoes
2 tomatoes , finely chopped
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1/2 big sized capsicum , finely chopped
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 carrot , peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup green peas
Coriander leaves for garnishing , chopped
2 tablespoon Pav Bhaji Masala , of any brand
1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Cumin/Jeera powder
3 – 4 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
- Boil the potatoes. Peel them after they cool down. Grate and keep aside.
- Boil the other vegetables and mash them slightly by hand.
- In a frying pan or tawa, add 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoon butter and fry the onions till they turn pinkish.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and mix.
- Now add tomatoes and fry till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add all the spice powders and mix properly.
- Pour the grated potatoes and the mashed veges. Mix properly.
- Add 1/2 cup water. If needed, add more water.
- Keep on mixing and mashing the veges on the tawa with the pav bhaji masher.
- Add salt to taste.
- Keep the lid covered and let it cook for sometime.
- After 5 minutes switch off the gas.
- Garnish it with a blob of butter and coriander leaves.
- Slit the pav. Apply butter and fry the pav on both sides.
- Serve the hot Bombay pav bhaji with fried pav, chopped onions and a piece of lemon.
Note: Pav recipe can be found here.
This post was published on 13th Oct 2011. Today i.e. on 24- Aug-2018 I have updated it with new images.
This post contains affiliate links.