Sweet potato kheer or Kangachi kheer is another traditional kheer or pudding prepared in Goa. Sweet potatoes are found in abundance in this season in Goa and rest of India. In Goa sweet potatoes are known as “kanga” in Konkani. Sweet potatoes are used in making different types of dishes like kheer mentioned in this recipe, halwa, subzis, etc. Today’s recipe is vegan and healthy. This recipe is made using coconut milk, sago pearls, jaggery/molasses and sweet potato cubes. Cardamom powder is added in the end which lends a delicate flavor to this dish.
You can try this sweet potato dumpling which is known as kangachi nevri in Goa. You can simply steam or boil sweet potato by adding little salt and eat it. I remember, in my childhood Mom used to give me steamed sweet potato and I loved to eat it just like that.
Sweet potatoes are a very good source of vitamins and minerals. They are a rich source of iron, potassium and magnesium. All these vitamins and minerals promotes a healthy immune system and also regulates heart beats. We should add sweet potatoes to our diet. Diabetic people should replace regular white potatoes by sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Kheer / Kangachi Kheer
Sweet Potato Kheer | Kangachi Kheer
- 3 cups grated coconut
- 1/2 cup jaggery grated
- 1/4 cup sabudana/sago
- 1 cup sweet potato peeled and thinly cubed
- 4 cardamom pods crushed
- To taste Salt
- Wash the sabudana, drain the water and keep it aside for minimum 30 minutes.
Extract 2 cups coconut milk
- Add grated coconut and 2 cups water to mixer to form thick coconut milk.
- Pass the thick coconut milk through a sieve and extract 2 cups coconut milk.
Make the sweet potato kheer
- Take a deep bottomed utensil, add 2 cups water and boil the chopped sweet potato for 5 minutes or until they are soft.
- After the sweet potato gets boiled, add sago pearls and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add coconut milk and grated jaggery and stir well till jaggery dissolves completely.
- Let the coconut milk boil for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Garnish with cardamom powder. Serve it hot or chilled.