Atwal or Aatwal is commonly known as Methiya Pez in Konkani. This dish is made with methi or fenugreek seeds, rice, jaggery and coconut milk. This methi seeds recipe is commonly made for nursing mothers after delivery of baby. This traditional postnatal dish is commonly made on the 12th day for the baby’s naming ceremony. This dish is the star dish of that day for the ceremony known as “barso”. This dish looks like fenugreek kheer and thickens on cooling. So if it thickens, add coconut milk and boil it. Have it warm or hot.
Even otherwise you can make this methi kheer at home and eat it. It is highly nutritious as it contains rice, fenugreek, jaggery and coconut milk. Jaggery helps to increase the iron content in the body. Coconut is a superfood and helps in proper brain functioning. Sometimes if you feel bored to cook food, you can easily cook this Atwal and eat. Apart from filling the tummy it keeps you healthy.
Fenugreek seeds are most often used to increase the supply of breast milk. A nursing mother should drink this atleast once a day. She should also drink plenty of water, drink rava in milk and eat fruits and healthy food.
Methiya pez is a gruel made with rice and fenugreek seeds in coconut milk and jaggery. This is a very nutritious recipe made during winter season and is a very good post natal recipe too.
Fenugreek is galactagogue which is a substance which promotes lactation in animals and humans. Talk to your pediatrician to know more about how to increase the milk supply in new mothers incase they are not producing sufficient milk for the baby.
How does methiya pez taste?
Methiyachi pez is slightly bitter in taste. It tastes good we add coconut milk and jaggery. Jaggery adds the required amount of sweetness.
Ingredients to make methiya pez:
- Rice – Rice is used in making this pez. Pez is a Konkani word for gruel/congee.
- Fenugreek seeds – Fenugreek seeds is the star ingredient and is pressure cooked along with rice.
- Coconut milk – Extract coconut milk from 3/4th cup freshly grated coconut by adding water and grinding in a mixer. (See notes) If you find extracting coconut milk from freshly grated coconut, then use canned coconut milk. However, I recommend extracting coconut milk freshly as it is preservative free and is most beneficial for new mothers.
- Jaggery – I have used cane jaggery in this recipe. If you get palm jaggery use it as it has more health benefits.
Steps to make methiya paez or aatwal:
- First we should wash and soak rice and fenugreek seeds.
- Next pressure cook rice and fenugreek seeds together till the rice gets cooked and is mushy.
- Transfer the pressure cooked rice and fenugreek seeds to another bowl. Switch on the gas, add coconut milk and grated jaggery, pinch of salt and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes till it starts bubbling.
Methiya Pez / Aatwal
- Pressure cooker
- ½ cup rice
- 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon grated jaggery
- A pinch of salt
- Wash and soak rice and fenugreek seeds for minimum 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook rice and fenugreek seeds together till the rice gets cooked and is mushy.
- Transfer the pressure cooked rice and fenugreek seeds to another bowl. Switch on the gas, add coconut milk and grated jaggery, pinch of salt and mix well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes till it starts bubbling.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: This post was published in 2016. Updated with pictures today.