Prawns biryani is delicious long grain Basmati rice cooked with prawns and spices. This biryani is medium spicy and can be served with raita. Seafood lovers will surely love this spicy layered rice with shrimp masala. This prawns biryani is one of the easiest to prepare. We have to prepare the spicy prawn masala and then make layers with rice and this prawn masala in the pot. After that we dum cook it for 10 minutes. Dum cook means to cook on low flame. Here I have egg dum biryani.
This Indian style biryani with prawns is always a family favorite in almost every Indian home. This home cooked rice recipe is better than any restaurant biryani.
Marination time for prawns is very less compared to other types of meat, hence this shrimp recipe takes less time to cook as compared to mutton biryani. If you cook prawns biryani in cooker, it will still get cooked faster as compared to cooking on gas or induction.
How long do we have to marinate prawns ?
Prawns can be marinated with simple spice powders like turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt and marinated for minimum 30 minutes.
Can biryani be made with frozen prawns?
Yes you can cook this spicy shrimp rice with frozen prawns. Just remember that you have to thaw the prawns before cooking them.
Prawns biryani ingredients:
- Spices: Indian spices like cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, cumin, peppercorns and red chilies.
- Prawns: Any medium sized prawns can be used in this recipe. If the prawns are large sized, just cut them into 2 to 3 pieces and use then in the aromatic biryani recipe.
- Onion: Medium sized red onion can be used in this recipe.
- Tomatoes: Medium sized ripe tomates can be used in making this spicy rice with prawns.
- Ginger & garlic: These two ingredients are a must in any spicy Indian recipe. The pungent flavour is a must specially in a this recipe.
- Dry fruits: Cashew nuts and raisins (kismish) are added to this recipe which helps in making a royal biryani at home. I have added cashew paste in this recipe.
Can we make prawns biryani in rice cooker?
Yes. We can make this recipe in rice cooker. Instead of boiling rice on gas, use a rice cooker to make rice. While adding water in rice cooker, add slightly lesser than you usually add for making normal rice. You have to cook rice aldente.
Serving shrimp biryani:
- 20-25 de-shelled and deveined prawns
- 2 big onions
- 10 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds Jeera
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 and 1/2 cup Basmati rice
- 2 to matoes
- 7 peppercorns
- 10 cashew nuts
- 5 black grapes/kishmish
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 pinch of orange food color optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 red chilies
- 10 garlic flakes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- To taste salt
- Marinate the prawns by applying 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Wash the rice and keep aside for at least 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, boil the rice by adding bay leaves and 2 peppercorns. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to the rice. Let it be par boiled or semi-boiled. Drain the water and spread the rice on a flat strainer and let it cool and dry under the fan. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder and 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder to this.
- In a kadai/wok, add 2 tablespoon oil and fry peppercorns, green chillies cut length wise and coriander leaves. Let it cool.
- Grind ginger, garlic and cooled masalas to a fine paste.
- Add onion and fry till onion becomes pinkish. Add the tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.Add the ground ginger-garlic and masalas to the onion/tomato mixture in the kadai and mix properly.
- Grind the cashew nuts to a thin paste by adding 2 tablespoon water.
- Add this cashew nut paste and the marinated prawns to the kadai and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Apply little bit(1 or 2 drops) of orange food color to rice. Do not apply colour to the whole rice. Just to 1/4 of the par-boiled rice. Mix the orange rice with the white rice.
- In a deep bottom pan, apply little oil at the bottom. Now spread one layer of rice. On this spread one layer of the gravy. On this spread another layer of rice, then gravy and continue to do so alternately till the gravy is over. Do not switch on the gas.
- Deep fry half onion cut length wise till it becomes brown and crisp. In the same oil fry some raisins (kishmish) and cashew nuts.
- Spread this on top of the rice.
- Now make 4 holes in the rice and put in 1 teaspoon butter in each hole. Cover with a lid.
- Switch on the gas and let it be on low flame. Switch it off after 5 minutes.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: The recipe was published on 6 Nov 2011, republished with pinterest image.