Chicken Biryani or Murg dum biryani is a favorite in my house. My hubby loves biryani and it is because of him that I too got hooked to eating biryanis. When I was newly married, he used to take me to his favorite biryani joints to taste his favorite food. Very soon I learnt to make biryani.
This biryani is a one pot meal and is easy to make. Though the ingredients list is big, the method is simple. Some people make biryani with ready-made biryani masala. Either way, biryani always becomes tasty. I prefer spicy version of biryani. Serve the chicken biryani with raita and tava fried chicken and enjoy a delicious meal.
You can even make this biryani for parties. Instead of boiling rice separately, you can add rice and marinated chicken to a pressure cooker. Using a pressure cooker to cook chicken biryani will save you time too. So enjoy the recipe of chicken biryani.
- 1/2 kg Chicken chopped into pieces
- 1 and 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 4 black peppercorns
For biryani masala:
- 2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 medium sized Tomato julienned
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 10 Garlic Pods finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 cardamoms crushed
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 inch cinnamon piece
- 1 star annise
- 1/2 mace/javitri
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala/biryani masala
- 1 cup mint leaves chopped
- 10 cashewnuts
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5-6 strands of saffron
- 4 tablespoon oil or as needed
- To taste Salt
For marinating chicken:
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon curd / yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala/biryani masala
- 2 tablespoon oil
- A pinch Salt
Do the prep-work
- Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken by applying the ingredients from the marination list.
- Add saffron to warm milk and soak it for 30 minutes.
- Heat a kadai and add oil. Deep fry the onion julienne till brown and crisp and keep it aside.
- Deep fry the cashewnuts and keep it aside.
Keep rice ready
- Par boil the rice by adding 2 bay leaves, 4 black pepper pods, 1-inch cinnamon and 4 cloves.
- After boiling, drain water and spread on colander. Alternatively you can boil rice by adding the spices in a rice cooker.
Now lets prepare the biryani masala:
- To a kadai, add oil. Add the spices like bay leaves, black peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and mix. Let the oil get infused with the spices.
- Now add chopped onion and fry till onion turns pinkish. Add chopped garlic and fry.
- Add tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and mix.
- Add chopped mint and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add deep fried cashewnuts.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala and toss.
- Add salt to taste and mix.
- Add marinated chicken and mix well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or till chicken gets cooked and switch off the gas.
Lets mix the chicken masala and rice:
- Take a deep bottomed pan. Add a layer of rice.
- Top this with prepared biryani masala. Again spread rice. Top this with biryani masala.
- Continue doing this alternatively till all the rice and biryani masala paste is over.
- Top this with deep fried onion julienne.
- Close the lid of the utensil and heat the biryani over low flame for 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve it hot with raita.