Mixed Vegetable Raita is a healthy type of raita made with curds or yogurt and vegetables. Raita is can be called as a dip or salad in English. It is served as a side dish along with food. It is made of yogurt or thick curd and is seasoned with spices like cumin or mint or mustard seeds. Vegetables or fruits like pomegranate can be added to raita.
Normally raita is served with biryani like chicken biryani or egg biryani or pudina pulav to cool the spicy effects. It is also served as a dip for Indian flat breads like Aloo paratha or mooli paratha.
Different varieties of raita are made in India like boondi raita, onion tomato raita, mint raita, cucumber raita, etc. The base is made of yogurt. Raita probvides relief after eating spicy biryani or spicy curries.
Below is a recipe of raita which I have been making ever since I started cooking. This is one if the simplest no cook recipe. Even a bachelor or a person who does not know to cook can make it. Preparing raita does not consume time. You only need yogurt or thick curd and some chopped vegetables. I have added chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped capsicum and coriander leaves to raita. You can even add grated carrot or grated cucumber to this and make it more healthy and nutritious.
Mixed Vegetable Raita
- 1 cup yogurt / curd
- 1/2 cup Tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- To taste Salt
- Take a mixing bowl and add yogurt. Whisk it.
- Add other chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Add salt to taste carefully, else mixed vegetable raita will become salty.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- To make mixed vegetable raita spicy, add chopped green chilli only if needed.
- Add little water to change the consistency of raita if it is too thick. I normally don’t add water to the raita I make at home as I prefer it thick.
- Add spice powders like cumin or kala jeera if needed to improve the taste. I prefer my raita plain, so don’t add any spice powders.