Avryachi Usali is a stir fry made with field beans. This is a gluten free vegan preparation and is very healthy. Serve with rice or rotis.
Avre are known as field beans in English.
How to serve avayrachi usli?
Avaryachi usli or Avarekalu usali is a delicious vegan stir fry made with field beans and spices. Serve it with rotis.
Avryachi Usali / Field Beans Stir Fry
- Pressure cooker
- 1/2 cup avare/field beans
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut optional
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste/ 1 marble sized ball of tamarind
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida piece / 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 dry red chilies
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Let us begin cooking avryachi usali.
- Soak the aavrekai/aavre in water for 8 hours. After 8 hours, drain the water and pressure cook them by adding 2 cups water for 4-5 whistles. After the cooker cools, open it, drain the water and keep the aavrekai aside.
- For tamarind paste, you can either use readymade tamarind paste or you can make it at home by soaking one marble sized ball of tamarind in water. Keep it soaked in water for 30 Min's and smash it in water.
- I normally use "Shankar Shaap Asafoetida" compared to the powdered one commonly available in markets. If you do not get "Shankar Shaap Asafoetida" use any other type of asafoetida powder.
- Keep a kadai/wok on the heat. Heat for 2 minutes and add oil. After the oil gets heated, add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida, curry leaves and crushed red chilies.
- After 2 minutes, add chopped onion and saute. When the onion turns pinkish, add chopped tomato and saute till tomato turns mushy.
- Now add turmeric and chili powder and mix. Add coriander powder and mix.
- Now add the avre /field beans from the pressure cooker. Mix it with all the contents.
- Add salt to taste. Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice/rotis or any type of bread, or just have plain.
Pin this image on Pinterest. If you like this recipe give us a 5 star rating.