Today’s recipe is beet greens stir fry or subzi. Yes! You read it right stir fry made with beetroot leaves. There is a story behind how I came across these leaves and how I cooked with them. It was by chance that I came across these leaves in the grocery store. Almost everyone was discarding the leaves and only purchasing the beetroots.
There were 2 ladies who were discussing about how nutritious these beet root leaves are and how delicious they taste when cooked. I overheard the conversation and selected some leaves to purchase. But the guy at the counter gave it to me for free and said that no one buys these. I thought that no one knows that these leaves cab be cooked into a yummy beet greens stir fry.
Never discard beet greens. Instead make nutritious and tasty beet greens stir fry or beet root leaves stir fry which is a nutritious recipe.
I tried a simple recipe. I adapted the same red leafy amaranth recipe to cook these beetroot leaves. The dish turned delicious. Beet greens are packed in antioxidants, protein and low in cholesterol. Do try this healthy beetroot leaves stir fry recipe and serve it with rice and curry.
Beet Greens Stir Fry | Beetroot Leaves Subzi
- 30 Beetroot leaves finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies slit
- 2 tablespoon grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- In a kadai/wok, heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida and green chillies and finely chopped onions.
- You can cover the kadai for 5 Minutes till onions turn pinkish.
- Now add beetroot leaves and 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook for 15 Minutes or till the leaves are cooked.
- Add more water if required.
- After it gets cooked, add coriander and turmeric powder.
- Stir properly. Add jaggery and coconut and mix well.
- Add salt as per your taste.
Cool recipe I like Beetroot and greens will try this surely! Thank you. Please read my blog and give the honest opinions for improving.