Corn Cheese Sandwich is a delicious grilled sandwich made with boiled sweet corn, onion and grated cheese. I had this corn sandwich in my office cafeteria many years back and ever since then I love it and have been making it at home for my daughter. It is healthy too as corn kernels are packed with nutrition.
Corn contains dietary fiber which helps to control cholesterol levels in the body. It also contains Vitamin B6 which decreases the risk of heart disease. Vitamin A in this promotes eye health. Cheese is high in calcium and this sandwich is yummy and filing. You can have this sandwich with a cup of hot carrot tomato soup. You should also check these yummy savory veggie corn cheese muffins.
Ingredients for making grilled corn cheese sandwich:
- Sweet corn: I have used American sweet corn kernels. You can use any variety of sweet corn kernels in the recipe.
- Onion: I have used red onion in this recipe. Onion can be julienne or finely chopped. This is optional.
- Cheese: I have used grated cheddar cheese in the recipe. You can even use gouda or mozzarella cheese.
- Butter: A little amount of butter is used to apply on the bread slices.
- Bread: I have used whole wheat bread. You can even use white bread or multigrain bread.
How to make:
- First we boil or steam the sweet corn kernels.
- Then we take a mixing bowl and add boiled sweet corn, chopped onion and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Take the bread slices and apply butter on them.
- Spread corn and onion mixture on top of the bread slice making sure that entire bread slice is evenly covered.
- Above the corn onion mixture spread grated cheese.
- Close the sandwich with another slice of bread.
- Place the sandwich in a grill.
You can pack this in the kids snack box or tiffin or simply make it for breakfast or evening snacks. When the child returns from school hungry, make this sandwich and serve with ketchup. I have grilled it, but if you don’t have a grill, you can make cheese corn toast on tava. Toast the bread slices on a tava and add the boiled corn, onion and cheese mixture as a filling and serve.
Corn Cheese Sandwich
- 1 and 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 cheddar cheese cube or ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- Salt to taste
- Boil the sweet corn till they are cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- Take a mixing bowl and mix the sweet corn, chopped onion and a pinch of salt.
- Cut the thick edges of the bread slices. (This step is optional)
- Apply butter on one slice of bread.
- Now spread 1 tablespoon sweet corn and onion mixture on the slice of bread. Add more mixture if desired or if any part of the bread looks empty.
- On top of this spread 1 tablespoon grated cheese.
- Close this with another bread slice making a sandwich.
- Grill it in a toaster or a Panini grill press.
Pin this image on Pinterest.
Note: Recipe was first published on 22 Jan 2016, republished with with new images and steps in Jan 2020.