Egg fried rice is a simple and nutritious dish made out of cooked rice, vegetables and eggs by stir-frying in a wok or kadai. This simple and easy fried rice recipe can be cooked within 30 minutes. I had been making Chinese fried rice since many years. But recently, I changed the recipe. My daughter loves spicy fried rice without soy sauce. You can also call this pepper egg fried rice with vegetables as it has black pepper powder added to it. My daughter loves it that way.
I usually make the rice in rice cooker and then add it to making the fried rice. In this way, I can save lot of time during the morning rush hours when I have to get my daughter ready, pack her lunch and send her to school by 7.30 AM. You can also make this fried rice with previous day’s left-over rice.
Egg Fried Rice is an easy recipe which can be made and packed in the lunch box.
I used to add sauces like soya sauce and chili sauce in the fried rice. But recently, I had to change the recipe as per my little one’s instructions. You can add a teaspoon of chili sauce and ½ teaspoon of soya sauce if needed in the recipe.
To make the fried rice with egg, boil rice al-dente. Spread it on colander so that it dries up. Cook the vegetables in a kadai, add sauces if needed, add the black pepper powder and salt. I also add coriander leaves while cooking the vegetables as this enhances the taste. This is also optional. After the vegetables are cooked, I add the eggs and scramble them till they are almost done. Then I add rice and mix well. After tasting, I add salt if needed. I also add little butter to enhance the taste.
Egg Fried Rice
- 1 cup Basmati rice or long grain rice
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1/2 small carrot peeled and chopped
- 1/2 small capsicum chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chicken/veg Maggi cube optional
- 3 tablespoon Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- To taste Salt
- Wash the rice and keep aside for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, drain the water from rice.
- Cook rice in 8 cups water by adding 2 bay leaves in the cooking rice. You can even cook rice using a rice cooker. But cook the rice al-dente.
- After rice is cooked, spread it on a colander till it dries.
Let us make the egg fried rice:
- Heat a kadai or wok or pan and add oil. After oil gets heated, add finely chopped onion and fry till onion turns translucent.
- Add minced garlic and fry till raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add chopped vegetables and fry for 5 to 7 minutes on low flame by closing the lid of the utensil.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Fry for 2 minutes till coriander leaves wilt.
- Add black pepper powder, Maggi cube (optional), salt and mix well.
- On low flame, crack the eggs one by one and pour in the wok/kadai. Discard the shells.
- Scramble the eggs and cook till they are almost done. While making the eggs scramble, mix well with the vegetables.
- Add cooked rice and mix well ensuring that the rice grains don’t break.
- Add butter and mix.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with soya sauce and chili sauce.