Goan Moolyacho Ross | Goan Radish Curry is a traditional Goan preparation which I learnt from my mom during her recent visit to Bangalore. Since my dad is a pure vegetarian, mom made this curry to eat along with rice. Ross means Goan curry and moolo means radish. This curry is similar to Goan drumstick curry or sangacho ross, but to this curry mom does not add black pepper seeds.
You can have this curry with steamed rice, rava fried vegetable, stir fry or bhaji, kokum kadi, papad and salad to have a simple Goan veg lunch. This Goan Moolyacho Ross | Goan Radish Curry may appear simple, but it is nutritious as radish is loaded with fibre, vitamin B6 and folic acid which are very good for health. Also radish controls blood pressure and if good for diabetics. Dal is rich in protein and folic acid. You can check this radish leaves stir fry .
Ingredients: Prep. Time: 30 Minutes, serves: 4
2 medium sized radishes, peeled
½ cup toor dal
½ medium sized onion, finely chopped
6 tablespoon grated coconut
1 green chilli, slit
4 dry red chillies
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 marble sized ball tamarind
1 teaspoon grated jaggery (optional)
Salt to taste
- Cut the peeled radish into 1 and ½ inch long finger shaped pieces.
- Add dal, radish and chopped onion along with 1 cup water in pressure cooker and pressure cook till 4 whistles.
- Grind grated coconut, dry red chillies, coriander seeds, tamarind and turmeric powder by adding ½ cup water into a thin gravy.
- Mix the coconut gravy with the dal in pressure cooker.
- Add grated jaggery and mix well.
- Simmer the gravy for 10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and mix.
- Serve hot with rice and rava fried vegetable.