Pumpkin Bharta also known as doodhi bharta is a simple yet nutritious dish made in Goa. I learnt this traditional Goan recipe from my mother. Whenever she made this pumpkin bharta, she called and told me the recipe and literally forced me to cook and publish it on the website. Today, this recipe of doodhi bharta is finally up.
This recipe of pumpkin bharta is made using only 5 ingredients which are commonly used in Goan cuisine. Those are pumpkin puree, grated coconut, green chilies, tamarind and salt. Green chilies can be replaced by red chili powder too. All ingredients are mixed together and that makes this delicious Goan style pumpkin bharta.
This doodhi bharta or doodyache bharta can be served with white rice, ambadyachi uddamethi, cowpea subzi, kelyachyo fodi and kokum kadi to complete a simple vegetarian Goan meal. This recipe is not spicy and can be served to kids. Just don’t add the chillies while serving to kids.
Pumpkin Bharta | Doodhi Bharta
- 3 cups pumpkin cubes use peeled pumkin
- 1/2 cup coconut freshly grated
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 inch tamarind
- To taste Salt
- Boil the pumpkin in 5 cups water until it becomes soft. Drain the water and spread the pumpkin on the colander.
- Take a mixing bowl and add the boiled pumpkin pieces. Mash it to make a puree.
- Add grated coconut, green chillies, tamarind and salt and mix well.