Ugadi or padva is round the corner. You all might be making different varieties of sweets. Today I want to share with you all my mother in laws signature ladoos – Wheat Flour Ladoos. These are known as “Pittyache Ladoo” or “Gavachya Pitache Ladoo” in Konkani. In Goa we make these pityache ladoo for various occasions like Ganesh Chaturthi, Diwali, Padva, baby showers, etc. I used to love having these wheat flour ladoos during my pregnancy and after child-birth.
These ladoos are my favorite and my mother in law always makes them perfectly. The ladoos are not very sweet. They have light flavor of cardamom, ghee and whole wheat flour. These ladoos are not greasy. You can make these in bulk and store them in air-tight containers for upto a month. They are perfect to have as snacks. You can also pack them in your tiffin box and carry them to office.
Wrap these whole wheat flour or pittyache ladoo in coloured paper known as “foal” in Goa. This is the paper which is used for making kites. Try to make these ladoos for this Ugadi and present it by wrapping in coloured papers. Impress your guests by serving these delicious ladoos. You can also check this chakri or muruku recipe which I learnt from my mother in law. Also check the top 5 recipes for Ganesh Chaturthi.
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour sieved
- 3/4 Cup desi ghee / clarified butter
- 1 cup sugar powdered
- 8 cardamom pods Peeled and crushed
- Heat a kadai. Add wheat flour and roast on low flame till aroma gets released from wheat flour and colour turns brownish.
- Now add ghee and mix well. Add ghee little at a time as the wheat flour should not be too sticky nor too dry. Add more ghee if desired. Switch off the gas.
- Add powdered sugar and crushed cardamom and mix well.
- Immediately start making small ladoos using both hands.