Sweet Coconut Rice is another traditional Goan dish that is prepared in the GSB community. This is not like the South Indian Coconut Rice, but is unique to the Goan cuisine. We prepare this rice on religious occasions. Another version of sweet rice is Sakhar Bhaat or Sugar Rice. I shall share the Sakhar Bhaat recipe some other time.
If you want to surprise your guests with something different, then make this sweet coconut rice and serve it as dessert. It can also be served as prasadam for poojas. This is a no onion no garlic preparation and taste is yummy. The flavors of cardamom, coconut, basmati rice and sweetness of sugar jell well.
Since it is sweet and loaded with calories, one cannot eat it in large quantity. You can reduce or increase sugar quantity as per your taste. Diabetic people can use sugar-free alternatives. Enjoy this sweet coconut rice today J
Sweet Coconut Rice Recipe
Ingredients: Prep. Time: 30 minutes, Serves: 2-4
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup thick coconut milk extracted from 1/2 cup grated coconut
4 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon desi ghee/clarified butter
½ tseaspoon cardamom powder
20 crushed cashewnuts
¼ teaspoon salt or as per taste
- For extracting coconut milk, take 1 cup freshly grated coconut and grind it by adding ½ cup water. Pass this through a strainer and retain the coconut milk.
- In a kadai, add 1 tsp ghee and add raisins. After they get puffed, remove them and keep them aside. In the same kadai roast cashewnuts.
- Wash and soak the rice for 1 hour in sufficient water. After 1 hour, drain the water.
- In a kadai, heat ghee and then add cloves and rice. Stir-fry the rice in ghee for 5 Mins.
- Boil 1 cup water and add it to kadai in which rice is being stir fried. Let the rice get par-boiled.
- Then after all the water is absorbed by rice, add coconut milk and dry fruits.
- Now let the rice get cooked in coconut milk. After the coconut milk gets absorbed, add sugar, cardamom powder. Adjust salt.