Bottle gourd subzi or lauki ki subzi is healthy and nutritious recipe. Today’s bottle gourd recipe is a simple and easy recipe. This lauki subzi is a vegan no onion recipe. Garlic is added to this recipe for added taste and flavor. Bottle gourd is known as kokondudhi in Konkani. Some people even call it dudhi or sorakkai.
My mother in law taught me this recipe. Her sister in law had taught her this recipe. The sister in law herself had learnt the recipe from some Goan relatives who stay in Mumbai. Now she passed it on to me. I usually don’t eat bottle gourd, but I love this bottle gourd subzi. The flavors of chili, garlic and ginger lends a nice mildly spiced flavor.
Bottle gourd is good for health and if you never loved this vegetable, I recommend you to give it a try. You will love it for sure. Serve this bottle gourd subzi with rotis or rice.
Preparation of bottle gourd subzi is very easy. Just wash and peel the bottle gourd. Chop into small cubes. I always finely cut the vegetables that I eat. You can chop them as per your preference. Boil chopped bottle gourd in 1 cup water. Using a mortar and pestle, make paste using garlic, ginger and green chili. Paste should not be thin like chutney, but a thick coarse one.
After making the paste, add it to the bottle gourd which has boiled in the kadai. Add grated coconut, pinch of sugar and salt as per your taste. Bottle gourd is sometimes bitter so addition of sugar is optional. Mix everything well and then cook for some more time till all water dissolves. Check the recipe below to know the exact measurements for ingredients.
Serve this lauki ki subzi with rice or rotis.
Bottle Gourd Subzi
- 1 medium sized bottle gourd peeled and chopped into cubes
- 4 tablespoon coconut freshly grated
- 1/4 inch ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 Green Chili chopped
- 5 pods garlic peeled and chopped
- A pinch sugar
- To taste Salt
- 1 cup water or as needed
First let’s make paste from ginger garlic and green chili.
- Take a mortar and pestle and add ginger, garlic and green chili.
- Make thick coarse paste.
Now let’s make bottle gourd subzi.
- Take a kadai and add water. Add chopped bottle gourd and boil them.
- After bottle gourd boils, add the paste, grated coconut, pinch of sugar and mix well.
- Cook covered on low flame till all water gets dissolved.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.