Khubyache Sukhe or Goan Black Clam Sukha is a dish made with black clams, grated coconut, kokum and spices. This recipe is normally cooked dry and is cooked along with the half shell of the clams. We also make tonak or curries and cutlets with black clams. The same recipes can be cooked by replacing black clams with yellow clams.
In Goa we get variety of fresh fish everyday. At my in-laws place, there is fisher-woman, who visits everyday with fresh catch. Sometimes we get really good fish with these fisher-woman who go around the streets with a bamboo basket loaded with fish. They place the fish basket on their head and scream “Nustyak jai go?” (do you want fish?) while perfectly balancing the fish basket.
Clams are rich in iron. Shell fish should always be consumed within safe limits as anything in access is not good. Serve this dish with steamed rice, fish curry and fried fish for the perfect Goan meal. This dish tastes yummy, just remember that you have to discard the shell while eating the clams 🙂
Khubyache Sukhe | Goan Black Clam SukhaPrint Pin Rate
- 2 cups cleaned black clams on half shell / Khubbe
- 2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 kokum petals
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- To taste Salt
- Take a kadai and add oil. After oil gets heated add chopped onion and fry till onion turns pinkish.
- Add the slit green chillies and mix.
- Now add the cleaned black clams and 1/2 cup water.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Keep the heat low or gas on low flame.
- Cook with lid of kadai covered for 15 minutes.
- The water should get absorbed by the clams.
- Then add grated coconut and salt and mix well.
- Add kokum petals, stir nicely and switch off the gas.