Today’s recipe is yummy and delicious Goan cucumber cake. Goan cucumber cake is known as Tavasali in Goa. Tavshe means cucumber in Konkani. This is an eggless cake recipe. Cucumber is available throughout the year. Prepare this cucumber cake at any time of the year. Try this recipe with local seasonal cucumber. You can get it in september or october in Goa.
Prepare tavasali in different ways. Dry roast rava or semolina on low flame till aroma wafts in the air. Let it cool down completely. Take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients namely grated cucumber, roasted rava, jaggery, cashewnut pieces, grated coconut, crushed cardamom, and baking soda and mix well. Grated cucumber will release water. Soak rava nicely in grated cucumber. Pour the prepared mixture in a greased baking tray.
Goan cucumber cake or Tavasali is a healthy and nutritious snack.
You can bake this eggless cucumber cake in oven or steam it using double boiler method. My mom steams this tavasali using double boiler method. In this method, add sufficient water in a pressure cooker. Place a small plate inside the cooker. On this place the baking dish with mixture. Cover it with aluminum foil. Steam for 20 minutes without keeping the whistle or lid.
My mother in law cooks the cake on a gas stove. Grease a pan and evenly spread the cucumber cake batter. Cover the pan and cook on low flame for 30 minutes or cook till tavasali is done. Cake should not get burnt, so keep on checking while cooking. I prefer to bake the cucumber cake in an OTG.
Serve this tavasali for evening tea time snacks. You can even pack it in the snack box to have some healthy snack.
Goan Cucumber Cake / Tavasali
- 2 and 1/2 cups cucumber peeled and grated
- 1 and 1/2 cup jaggery grated
- 1 cup rava / semolina
- 1 cup coconut freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cardamom pods peeled and crushed
- 10 cashewnuts broken
- 1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter for greasing the baking pan
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Heat a skillet or wok and roast rava till it is light brown or till aroma wafts in the air. Let it cool completely. This would take around 20 minutes.
- Take a mixing bowl and add all ingredients together. Grated cucumber will release water. Let the rava or semolina get soaked nicely.
- Take a baking dish and grease it with ghee or clarified butter.
- Pour the mixture in the baking dish. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 200 C.
- You can also steam the cucumber cake using double boiler method.
- Check if the cake is baked by pricking a toothpick or knife in the center. If the toothpick or knife comes out clean, the cake is baked. Else bake it further till done.
© Raksha's Kitchen. All the images & content are copyright protected. Do not use images from my website or social media without my prior written permission. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Raksha Kamat and Raksha's Kitchen with appropriate and specific re-direction to the original content. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
In case of unauthorized use of our content, you will be liable for any action resulting from copyrights infringement, trademarks or proprietary rights due to usage of our content by you.