Today’s recipe is another traditional Goan recipe which I learnt from my mother-in-law – Eggless Sugarless Rava Banana Cake. Yes you heard it right. Banana cake without egg and without sugar. This Eggless Banana Cake made with rava or semolina is a healthy vegan banana cake recipe and you should give it a try. From the name this recipe sounds complicated. But believe me, it is one of the simplest vegan banana cake recipe. If you don’t have an oven, you can even make it in a pan.
If you have over-ripe bananas, do not discard them. Simply puree them and make a semolina cake out of it. You can even make these yellapes with over-ripe bananas or these delicious whole wheat flour muffins. I made this rava banana cake because my hubby loves it. Multiple requests from him made me bake this yummy cake. It was finished within few minutes during tea time. 🙂
Most people add sugar to this recipe but I made it sugar-free by adding jaggery. This eggless cake is perfect to have during tea time. You can even pack it in a lunch box to have it as desserts or pack it in snack box. Children also love this recipe because it is sweet too. If you want sweeter cake, add little more grated jaggery. Coconut milk and absence of eggs, makes this cake vegan. You can try the vegan banana cake with sugar.
This eggless rava banana cake pure treat for health conscious people.
If you like this recipe also try vegan jackfruit cake which is one of the oldest recipe on my website. Wondering from where to get the vegetables from? If you are in India, you can order all fruits and vegetables like jackfruits and bananas from Bigbasket as there are lots of Bigbasket offers going on. I got fresh fruits and vegetables many times from BigBasket and also had the option to return un-fresh fruits which were delivered by mistake sometimes.
Eggless Rava Banana CakePrint Pin Rate
- 4 small ripe bananas peeled and pureed
- 1 cup rava / semolina roasted
- 5 cardamom pods peeled and crushed
- 10 cashewnuts crushed
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup jaggery/molases grated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of Salt
- Take a mixing bowl and add the roasted rava. Add banana puree and mix well.
- Next add coconut milk and mix.
- Keep aside for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add grated jaggery and mix well.
- Add crushed cardamom, cashewnuts and salt and mix.
- Add baking powder and mix.
- Pre-heat the oven for 5 minutes at 200C. Line the baking pan with butter paper or grease it.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan.
- Bake in convection mode for 30 minutes.
- Check if the cake is baked by pricking a tooth-pick in the centre.
- If the tooth-pick comes out clean, the cake is baked, else bake it for further 15 minutes.