Beaten Rice In Coconut Milk also known as “Nalla Rosanche Fov” is a quick poha recipe which needs to be cooked for only 5 minutes with all ingredients ready. Flattened rice is washed and later it is added to coconut milk. Jaggery and cardamom is added for sweetness and flavour.
One night before Diwali, all of us go to witness the burning of the effigy of demon Narkasur by Lord Krishna. Competitions are held in different parts of the state and prizes are given for the best Krishna and best Narkasur. When we return home after burning the demon, we light the sky lamp known as “Akash Diva” in Konkani outside every house. The next morning, that is on the Diwali eve all the men are given coconut oil massage by their wives and mothers. Then we all have bath with sandalwood soap and “Uttne” made of sandalwood powder. Even the bathrooms are decorated with mango leaves and mango leaves are tied around the huge bath pot i.e. “bhan”.
Coconut milk poha
Following this all the men in the family with the small kids stand in a line and all the married ladies do their “aarthi”. After this the ladies give a Bettlenut with 2 Bettlenut leaves to each men. The men return the Bettlenut and the leaves with gifts or money. Following this a bitter fruit known as “Karit” (a bitter cucumber type fruit which is small in shape) is broken by the men with their foot.
Beaten Rice In Coconut Milk | Nalla rosanche Fov
- 1 cup beaten rice
- 1 cup jaggery
- 6-7 cardamom pods
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Wash the beaten rice and let them dry on a big strainer/colander. Keep this aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Grind the grated coconut by adding 1 cup water and extract the milk.
- Add jaggery to this coconut milk and mix well.
- Peel the cardamom pods and powder the seeds in a mortar pestle.
- Add 1 cup water to the beaten rice and cook it on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add the coconut milk and jaggery mixture to the beaten rice and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
Pin this image on Pinterest.