Every morning a question comes to my mind as to what to cook for breakfast. I prepare this Vegan Eggless Omelette on days when I don’t eat non-veg like Mondays and Thursdays. This is a low calorie weight loss recipe which can be prepared for breakfast or evening snacks. Instead of eggs chickpea flour (besan) has been used to make this vegan omelette. I first time had this eggless omelette in an Udupi Hotel at Margao, Goa in my childhood. My dad who is a pure vegetarian had ordered it and I literally laughed after hearing the name tomato omelette. But I loved the taste and regularly prepare it at home.
Vegetables like bell pepper and spinach may also be added to this recipe to make it healthier. Besan or chickpea flour is high in protein and has lesser calories than wheat flour. Cooking soda/fruit salt may be added to make this besan omelette fluffier. Serve this Vegan Eggless Omelette with green mint chutney and a cup of tea or coffee.
Consumption of chickpea flour has numerous health benefits. It helps lower cholesterol, improves hearth health, aids weight loss, regulates blood pressure, controls diabetes by stabilising blood sugar, improves immune system, strengthens bones and helps in development of fetus during pregnancy. It is gluten free too and is beneficial for gluten allergic people.
Vegan Eggless Omelette
- 2 Cups chickpea flour/gram flour/besan sieved
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fruit salt/cooking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 4 tablespoon oil
- Add gram flour to a mixing bowl and make smooth batter by adding 1 cup water little at a time. Ensure that no lumps are formed in the batter. If required add more water. Ensure that the batter is not too thick.
- Add all other ingredients namely chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander leaves, green chilies, turmeric powder and cooking soda and salt to taste and mix well.
- Heat a tava/ frying pan.
- Grease it with 1 teaspoon oil after it gets heated.
- Reduce the heat and pour a ladle full of batter on the tava/frying pan.
- Cover the frying pan with lid for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, spread ½ teaspoon oil on the eggless omelette and flip to the other side. Fry for further 5 minutes.
- Serve with tomato sauce or green chutney.
This healthy recipe of mine has got featured on Manipal Hospital’s Health Library. Did you also know that animals especially dogs can also eat vegan food? If you did not know till now, then check this vegan dog food website.