Today’s recipe Green Beans Stir Fry is a simple and easy recipe. Made from French beans, it is rich in iron. This recipe is popular in Goa and India and is known as Val papdi Bhaji in Konkani. Some people also call it as papdi bhaji. Valpapdi or Green beans are very good source of iron which is essential for muscles, metabolism and normal body functions.
I went for a comprehensive health checkup recently. The doctors told me to eat iron rich foods as I am anaemic. I have started incorporating beets, boiled eggs, spinach, broccoli, green beans, etc in my diet and thus eating iron rich foods. Iron is needed by the body for making hemoglobin. Green beans are also rich in fiber, protein and calcium.
Today’s recipe is iron rich recipe. Make it on regular basis and add to diet. You can serve this Val papdi bhaji with rotis or with rice, dal and salad. You can also make this Green beans stir fry and add it to rolls and sandwiches.
Also check out Chinese style green beans stir fry.
Did you hear about Livogen – The number 1 Iron supplement? They are also running an iron rich recipe making contest. If you have a unique recipe which is rich in iron, submit it on their website – http://www.livogen.in/iron-chef/ and stand a chance to get featured in the leading women’s magazine – Femina as a Celeb Chef. You will also have a chance to win shopping vouchers worth Rs.20,000 and next 7 will win vouchers worth Rs.5000. So what are you waiting for? Wear you chef’s hat and whip up that unique recipe. Submit it soon and win big.
Val Papdi Bhaji
- 40 green beans / Val papdi finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafeotida
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat a kadai and add oil.
- After oil gets heated, add mustard seeds.
- After mustard seeds flutter, add curry leaves, asafeotida and dry red chilies and fry.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute till onion turns pinkish.
- Add finely chopped green beans and mix well.
- Add red chilli powder, grated coconut and mix well.
- Add ½ cup water and close the lid of kadai.
- Let it get cooked for 10 minutes with lid closed.
- Add salt to taste and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.