Vodya Ross or Vodyache Aam is a Goan curry made with ashgourd fryums and spices in a coconut based curry. It tastes yummy and can be served with rice. This can be made without onion too.
Vodyacho Ross or “Vodya ross” or “Vodyache aam” is a special dish in Goa. Vodyo are a type of “fryums”. They are made out of ashgourd and loads of spices. The dry chips like item you see in the image are vodyo. They are normally made during summer season and are sun dried. Yes Goan cuisine is not just fish curry, but a lot lot more. You might have read about the various dishes we make in Goa on my website.
Vodyo are made out of ashgourd and then spices are added to it. They are then spread on a plastic mat and sun dried. Later we can use them in cooking. Also check this chanya ross recipe.
Vodyacho ross is usually served with steamed rice, tambdi bhaji, valachi bhaji and potato fodi. You can also serve some sol kadi to complete the Goan meal. I have added onion in this recipe. Addition of onion is completely optional. To make this dish pure-veg, do not add onion to this recipe.
Vodyacho Ross or “Vodya ross” or “Vodyache aam” is a special dish in Goa made with ashgourd fryums.
Check out the video of vodyacho ross recipe too.
- 9-10 Vodyo
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 dry red chillies
- 5-6 black pepper
- 1 marble sized ball tamarind
- 1/2 medium sized chopped onion
- Grind the following ingredients together by adding 1/2 cup water - 2 vodyo, grated coconut, coriander seeds, red chilies, black pepper, tamarind and 1 tablespoon chopped onion. The consistency of the gravy should be slightly thick. Add more water and grind if necessary.
- In a kadai, add 2 tablespoon oil. When the oil heats fry the remaining vodyo till brownish.
- Remove the fried vodyo and keep aside.
- In the same pan, fry the remaining chopped onion. When the onion turns mushy, add the gravy.
- When the gravy begins to boil add fried vodyo. Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot with rice.
Note: This post was originally published on 9th May 2014. The post has been updated with new pictures on 27-July-2018.