Some secret ingredients which my mom adds to the fried rice are shared here. I still can’t prepare it with the same perfection as my mom, but with each and every attempt it gets better.
Ingredients: Prep. Time: 40 Minutes, Serves: 4
For the Rice
2 cups Basmati Rice
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oil
To mix with rice
1 cup capsicum cut lengthwise
3/4 cup diced carrot
2 finely diced onions / 1 cup chopped spring onion
10 soy chunks
1/2 cup green peas
1/4 cup sweetcorn
1/2 cup spring onion greens
1/4 cup chopped baby corn
5 chopped garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
2 teaspoon coriander leaves for garnishing
3-4 tablespoon oil, preferably olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoon green chili sauce
2 teaspoon tomato sauce
1 veg Maggi cube
1 tablespoon Amul butter
- Par boil the rice in 6 cups water by adding all the ingredients in the For the Rice section above.
- Spread the rice on a colander/strainer and let it dry.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and pepper powder on the rice.
- Boil the soy chunks and sweet corn, drain the water and keep aside.
- In a kadai, add oil.
- To that add the spices like bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves and fry for some time.
- Add onion and saute till it becomes pinkish.
- Then add chopped garlic and fry. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 1 minute by closing the lid of the kadai.
- Now add the veges one by one and fry. First add carrot, then capsicum, then babycorn and fry till the veges are done.
- Keep the kadai covered. It will take around 10-15 Minutes for the veges to be cooked.
- Then add the chopped soy chunks, sweet corn and green peas.
- Add the spring onion greens.
- Now add the sauces and the Maggi cube. Mix everything properly and let it simmer for 5 Minutes.
- Add cooked rice and toss carefully without breaking the rice grains.
- Add salt according to taste and butter.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
1) Always cook on low flame.
2) You can also add French beans and cabbage to this rice. Choice of veges is yours.
Also try tomato rice recipe.
The post has been updated with new pictures on 12-19-2017. It was originally published on 25-Nov-2012.