Sarson Ka Saag is a healthy curry which is normally made during the winter season in Northern parts of India specially Punjab. In English, Sarson Ka Saag is known as mustard greens. Traditionally this dish is served with makki di roti which means maize flour flat bread and a blob of butter. This is a famous meal combo in Punjab and is very healthy too. The taste of mustard greens is bit bitter, hence you should cook it with other greens like spinach or palak. Add onion, garlic and tomato paste along with other spices to enhance the flavor.
I first time had this dish in a Gurudwara and had loved the dish. I never knew that we get these mustard greens in Bangalore too. There is a vegetable vendor who goes in the streets in my layout everyday screaming ‘soppu’. Soppu means vegetables. My hubby was leaving for office and this guy told my hubby that he has something special to sell and handed over 4 bunches of mustard greens. Hubby immediately brought it home and told me to cook Punjab’s special Sarson Ka Saag.
There is a Punjabi family in my apartment. I called aunty and got the recipe to cook Sarson Ka Saag. These mustard greens are highly nutritious. They are full of antioxidants, high in fibre, boosts immune system and helps lower cholesterol. Check Rawalpindi Style Chole Recipe.
- 4 bunches mustard leaves/sarson ka saag
- 1 bunch spinach leaves/palak
- 2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 5 Garlic Pods minced
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon maize flour
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon desi ghee
- Few chopped Coriander Leaves for garnish
- To taste Salt
- Separate the mustard leaves from the stem and keep aside. Cut the palak leaves. Chop the spinach and mustard leaves.
- Take a pressure cooker and add the chopped mustard and spinach leaves along with 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Let the pressure get released.
- Take out only the boiled leaves from pressure cooker, add it to mixer and make a puree with it. Remove and keep aside. Reserve the water from cooker.
- Heat a kadai and add oil. Add maize flour and roast it on low flame till it looks brownish. Remove and keep aside.
- Take the mixer and add chopped tomato, green chilli and ginger. Make a puree and keep aside.
- Now heat a kadai and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add chopped onion and sauté till onion turns pinkish.
- Then add chopped garlic and sauté till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Now add the tomato puree and sauté on low flame till oil gets separated from the puree.
- Now add the roasted corn flour and mix well.
- Pour the mustard and spinach puree and mix. You can add 1 cup of reserved water and mix.
- Cover the kadai and let the gravy cook for 10 Minutes.
- After 10 Minutes, add salt to taste and mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and desi ghee.