Morocco is a North African country, bordering the North Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea. Spices are widely used in Moroccan food. A firm fleshed fish like salmon or basa fish is used to make this dish. Moroccan Baked Fish recipe is a popular dish made in Morocco and Mediterranean region.
The fish is baked on a bed of spiced Moroccan sauce which is made using coriander leaves or parsley, onion, garlic, olives and various spices. This dish is served with a bread named Challah or Morrocan baked bread. Some people even serve it with vegetables like potatoes or asparagus and white rice.
If you like fish, you can try other recipes from my website. I am sure you will love all the fish recipes.
- 1 fillet (200 grams) basa fish, salmon or any white firm fleshed fish
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For Moroccan Spiced Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bunch Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium sized onion juliened
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 cup olives pitted and sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Wash the fish fillet and marinate by applying salt and black pepper powder and keep aside for 30 Minutes in the fridge.
Let's make the Moroccan sauce:
- Take a mixing bowl and add the cumin powder, coriander powder and paprika. Mix and keep aside. Take another mixing bowl, add the chopped coriander leaves, 3/4th of the mixed spiced powders from first mixing bowl, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic paste and 1 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Pour 3/4th of this sauce over the fish fillet and apply it on both sides of the fish. (Reserve the remaining 1/4 to pour on the fish while serving). Keep it aside for 1 hour in the fridge.
Let's make the roasted onion.
- Heat a kadai and add butter. After butter melts, add olive oil. Now add onion and saute till onion turns pinkish.
- Add the remaining spiced powders, turmeric powder and salt to taste and mix well. Now add olives and mix.
- Let this mixture cool.
Let's bake the fish:
- Pre-heat the oven at 200C for 5 Minutes.
- Spread the roasted onions in a baking dish. Arrange the marinated fish fillets over the roasted onions. Bake it for 25 Minutes at 200C.