Step-By-Step Pictures To Make Ghee From Scratch At Home | Desi Ghee | Clarified Butter | Homemade Ghee

Since the time I got married I understood the benefits of homemade ghee. This is called Desi Ghee in India. Apart from using it in cooking food and making rotis, we use homemade ghee to light the lamp in our pooja room or the sacred room where we worship God. It also has numerous health benefits. I use it on my lips when I get chapped lips in winter season. It is rich in antioxidants and helps to absorb vitamins and minerals from other foods. In today’s post, I will explain the process with step-by-step pictures to make ghee from scratch at home.
When I was small or during my school days or even college days, I used to see my aunt making ghee at home. I and all my cousins used to run away from the kitchen when ghee was being made due to the smell in the house. We used to say that it was dirty smell, though it was a peculiar type of smell. At that point in my life I did not know the benefits of homemade ghee.
After my marriage when I actually entered the kitchen and started handling my household, I learnt from my Mother-in-law to collect the milk cream to make ghee. She told me not to discard the milk cream but to collect and make ghee out of it. Even if you don’t eat you can use it to light the sacred lamp in pooja room.

Initially I used to churn milk in the mixer by changing the blade. But since the time I got a food processor, my task became simple. I really love to make ghee at home. I no longer feel that the smell which comes while melting the butter is dirty and I love the smell of homemade ghee.
Many of my friends ask me how I make ghee. So today I thought of explaining in a step-by-step way. I am sure this blog post will benefit a number of people.
Procedure:
1) Keep on collecting the cream of milk in a container, preferably a glass container. The cream shown below is collected over 7-10 days. You should store the collected milk cream in fridge to ensure that it does not get spoiled. You will get thick milk cream, if you boil milk and refrigerate overnight. In the morning you will get thick milk cream.
2) The milk cream collected over time will start separating from the water. Water will go to the bottom and cream will be on top.
3) Transfer the entire contents of the container, i.e. the collected milk cream in a food processor. Fix the blade used to churn milk and keep it on speed 1 for 5 minutes.
4) You will observe that the butter has separated from the milky water or whey. The milky water is known as whey or buttermilk and the solidified part is butter.
5) Transfer only the butter in a deep bottom pan. Preferably an Indolium pan or a non-stick pan.
6) Retain a little buttermilk. Wash the container and transfer the buttermilk into it.
7) Now keep the container in which butter is present on the gas or stove. Keep it on medium heat.
8) The butter will start melting.
9) Soon clear bubbles will start getting formed. Now lower the heat.
10) Heat it little more till you see clear ghee on top. Now switch off the gas. The milk solids/fats will get slightly burnt, but that will be discarded.
10) Pass the ghee through a strainer or filter and collect the pure ghee in a clean container. I collect this in glass container as I love it that way.
11) Notice that you got pure ghee now. You can smell it and enjoy the aroma of the ghee.

Comments

1. says

Thanks Raksha, your article is very specific and helpful.
    I just have one question. I have been collecting the cream in a bowl (not a glass one though, it was of stainless steel) in the fridge. After a few days like 3-4 days, I noticed a little fungal spot on the cream. I threw away that particular part of teh cream. But I am not sure if it's okay to use the rest of the cream.
    Also I don't understand why this happened. Should I be keeping them in air tight container? Or glass container is a must? Coz i observed my Mom used to make ghee and collect the cream in a stainless steel bowl only and it used to work!
    Could you throw some light into it?
    Thanks,
    Alakananda

2. Anonymous says

should I use only cows milk for making ghee or packaged milk will also do?
    Also if I don't store the collected cream from milk in refrigerator will it get spoiled? Because I stay in a PG style accomodation I don't have access to refrigerator.

3. says

You can use any milk , even packaged.
    Yes there are chances that milk cream which is not stored in refrigerator will get spoiled. Fungus will start developing on it.

4. says

Hi Raksha,

I put the entire cream into the blender and ran it to for over 20 mins. The butter and water did not separate. I collecyed cream from 4% fat- packaged milk.

What should I do? Can I use it as cream for pasta or for something else while I cook?

5. says

U can use the buttermilk to mould dough for making parathas, or just season it and drink it as chaas and if it smells bad, just discard it by retaining a bit. If u retain a bit next time you can use it as a base in which you can collect all the cream.

6. says

Yes sometimes collecting milk cream for many days changes to butter as the milk cream gets fermented. Else you can add 2 tablespoon curds to the jar in which you collect the milk cream.

7. says

Hi raksha ,I stored the cream in a glass jar & refrigerated it.I used ice cubes while blending it. But still the butter did not separate it looked like buttermilk. I ran the mixer for some 10 min. Pls help

8. says

I think you added lots of ice cubes which melted. Try running the mixer for more 15 minutes. And next time when you collect cream, add 1 tablespoon curd to your jar or left over buttermilk that you will have after making butter.

9. Anonymous says

Is there any use of remaining burnt fat material after filtering pure ghee at the last step. What it called as?

• Ramya says

After collecting all the ghee to a separate bottle/ container, add 50-100 gms of rice flour to the vessel, a little coconut, sugar/ jaggery depending on your taste. you can add dry fruits/ cardamom etc depending on your taste/ creativity. Mix all this well in the vessel and take it out. Enjoy this savoury. My grandmother used to make this everytime she made ghee at home and we loved it as kids.

• Neha says

We can add sugar to the left over khoya and eat, dont burn the khoya entirely while making the ghee, if its golden brown color. It tastes amazing. At my place, we also add beetle leaf in the last, and eat that too for health reason. Try and see.

10. Anonymous says

Hi Raksha,

Thanks for your post..I got the ghee …but the aroma is not as GRB Ghee..

should we follow anything else?

11. Sathya says

Hi ,why the butter i make from above proc is white in colour ? Is it butter r am i making something wrong.

12. CHAPENAKA says

you could preferably store t in the freezer and you should not see any fungus…even in the stainless steel bowl and you can use that cream .If any fungus remains in that cream then it will die in the heating process.#CHAPETIP