Ghotache Sansav | Goan Pulpy Ripe Mango Curry
Ghotache Sansav is a delicious ripe mango curry with sweet, mildly spicy, and mildly tangy flavour. This is a Goan vegetarian curry served as main course without onion and garlic. This vegan curry is made with grated coconut and spices to which ripe mangoes are added. Serve this gluten free ripe pulpy mango curry with steamed rice or pooris.
Servings 4 People
- 6 Ghota/small soft ripe pulpy mango
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A pinch asafoetida
- 1-2 tablespoon jaggery grated
- 3 teaspoon oil
- To taste salt
For the curry:
- 1/2 cup coconut freshly grated
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 red chillies / shepda / byadgi chillies
- 1 marble sized ball tamarind
Grind the ingredients meant for curry – grated coconut, spices like coriander seeds, black pepper corns, dry red chillies, tamarind, and turmeric powder by adding 1/2 cup water. Adjust the thickness of gravy as per your preference. In Goa, we prefer a bit thick curry. Keep this gravy aside.
Peel the mangoes and using hands extract little pulp. Keep the mango kernel in the extracted pulp. Keep aside.
Now in a kadai or saucepan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
After the mustard seeds splutter, pour the gravy in it and mix well.
Add the mango pulp along with the kernels and 1 tablespoon grated jaggery.
Add salt as per taste. If needed add some more grated jaggery. Sweetness can be modified as per taste.
- If small ripe pulpy mangoes are not available, the same curry can be made with any type of ripe mangoes too.
- Serve with rice or pooris.