Vellyache Sukhe | Anchovy Semi Gravy
Vellyache sukhe is a Goan style anchovy semi gravy. Velli fish is also known as veloori in Malayalam. This tangy, mildly spiced Goan style anchovy semi gravy recipe and tastes delicious when served with hot steamed rice. Same recipe can be made with white sardine.
Servings 4 People
- 20-25 anchovies/velli cleaned
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 raw mango
- 1 teaspoon oil
- To taste salt
For marinating fish:
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Remove the scales, discard the head, clean the fish tummy and wash the fish properly before using it in cooking this fish semi gravy.
Apply the turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
If you want to marinate for longer time, then keep the marinated fish in refrigerator.
For making the anchovy semi gravy or velli sukhe:
In a kadai or sauce pan, add oil and let it get heated.
Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns pinkish.
Add the marinated fish, grated coconut, raw mango pieces, turmeric and chili powder.
Mix everything and cook till the fish and raw mango gets cooked.
Add salt to taste and mix.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- If needed, add 2 tablespoon water and cook on low flame with the lid of utensil closed.
- A dry kokum petal can be added, if raw mango is not available.